Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Front half of an H

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverbend
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What does the front half of an H weigh ?

I have most of the parts in hand and I'm thinking about splitting my H to do the transmission and clutch. Last time I used a neighbor's engine hoist and it worked fine. Now I'm wondering how close it is to the load limit.
Thanks
Greg

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

H does not have to be split to replace clutch and front trans seals. There is plenty of room to do all from the bottom.

Charlie M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are splitting the tractor to do the clutch I would recommend changing the rear oil seal while you are that far into it. That requires removing the oil pan also.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it takes very little to hold up the front and roll it away, a 1 ton hoist is good.

redforlife
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you plan to take out the flywheel, and/or replace the rear engine main seal, you don't need to split the tractor. The clutch and pressure plate can come out the hydraulic pump hole once the pump is taken out and lowered out of its place. I'd do it that way, instead of splitting. Be easier too. Probably got to take the hydraulic pump out anyways, to get it apart and back together (I'm guessing), even if you split it.

riverbend
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have to take the countershaft out of the transmission to replace 3rd gear (chipped tooth). Oil is starting to leak out from under the brake covers. I'm guessing the bull pinion bearings are going bad again. Bearings and seals all around and the clutch will slip once in a while... Working underneath it to do all that is harder than it used to be.

Using a hoist and rolling the front half away makes it a lot easier.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that is a for sure. i would split it also, as a split dont even take an hr. then your on your feet in wide open spaces.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bare naked weight of an H is around 4000lbs. You'd be lifting less than half of it, and it would for sure be "bare naked."

If you're going to be using the front wheels to support some weight, you're probably looking at only about 1000lbs, at most.

Dave41A
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front half of an H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's up to you, but it will be about as much work below the tractor to split it as it will be to disconnect the countershaft bearing with the tractor un-split. I replaced the front countershaft bearing last summer and once the lift-all is dropped, the amount of work you're doing on your back is minimal. Splitting the tractor doesn't make this work go away, so it really is a wash in terms of on-your-back work. In short, splitting adds a pretty big task to the project with little if anything to gain. But others may disagree. Good luck, Dave

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters