Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8n Discing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sweet corn

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The real name for what you have in the pic. is; "spring toothed Harrow". Lots of those around, but NEVER heard them called Quackers.

Gary

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well up here in da Nort...anyway, my 78 year father told me it is a quacker. why? well i guess i'll have to ask him that but that is what they are called around here anyway. they work like the dickens. ever hear of peanut butter and banana sandwiches?

here is a pic of the sweet corn, planted rt to lft then middle. each 1 week apart. in wisconsin, if the corn is knee high by the 4th of July it is a good year. well this corn is up to my hip(old pic) and i am 6'2"

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok, its called a quacker around here because it is primarily used to pull the quack grass up after plowing and discing. excellent tool when used correctly.

replacement c tines available from kraftimplement.com

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Discing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ross, my father was born and raised in Nakina, NC.
just a lil waze from whiteville, nc.

just a lil ways from the s.c. state line.

so yes, i am related to ALOT of Ward's down there yander.

lonestarjeff
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Discing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I pulled up there & dropped it for the pic. That was last summer right in the middle of the drought, ground was like concrete.

I've got some video using the disk back in late winter, but don't have a site to upload it. With the weight on it penetration is great.

The implement behind the tree is a nine-shank tiller. Here's a better pic:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Not sure who made it, or when, but the design is just about identical to the Dearborns & Fergusons.

Jeff

lonestarjeff
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice lookin harrow & tractor Arthur!

Sorry I was so slow. By the time I answered your email you had it figured out.

Jeff

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hey Home boy who ya call"n quacker, do I look like a Duck.

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Arther;
Peanut butter & banana sandwiches?? Now, that I've heard of.!!! Don't eat'em myself, but my wife does.
Anyway, as Jeff said, Nice looking rig you've got there, and if you paid $35 for that harrow, you did not buy it, you stole it from the guy!! The harrows they sell, similar to the one you have, now days are going for $215, and that is the cheap ones. You made a good deal!!! Makes for a nice field of plants too.
"Spring tooth harrow", "C" tooth cultivetor, what ever anyone calls them, They work good!!!
NOW, we all know! {:-)

Gary

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gb, lonestar:

thanks for the compliments on the rig.
i certainly don't know what i would do without that quacker. i originally put an ad in the paper for a scraper blade. a guy called so we went to look at one. he "mentioned" a quacker in the weeds so i went to look but didn't show much interest. walked away. then went back 5 mins. later and he said he would take $35 for it and it included the top link. i said ok. i gave the top link to my brother cuz i had one already.
sometimes you find deals and sometimes not. kraft implement has the "C" tine replacements. i need two.
i also paid $250 for a dearborn "economy" plow with coulters and scrapers. that plow was hardly ever used. works great. i only need my own disc now and they are very hard to find. the 8n is sprayed silver on the tin which i don't like but since the motor rebuild this spring i am thinking of painting the whole thing now.

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lol, ok, i originally was going to say a quacker was when you put a duck call in the soil and blow. LOL

Rusty 2N

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Define the verb to quack, please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My partner in town gots a Jeep PU that has the same flat head as my 2N. Only diff. is his has a fuel pump on his. Ford made alot of engines for jeep during the war years.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters