Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

12V conversion Diode question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Rader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I finally worked a day shift so that I could get to the electronics store and get the infamous 1N5408 diode. I have two questions...

1. When I install the diode does the printed band go toward or away from the altenator?

2. Is it ok to to put a layer of heat shrink over the diode and the solder joints?

I am hoping to finally get the wiring done tonight! Thanks for all your help!

James

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Morning James;

The banded end goes toward the alt., Just like the diagram says in the box with the arrow pointing to it, on the sheet I sent ya.
Let me know if ya get fire tonight!!!
BTW, Yes you can and should cover the diode with shrink tube, just don't heat it up too much.

Gary

James Rader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It says that on the diagram??? jeeesh, I've looked at that thing a blue million times... I don't have the diagram with me so I suppose that will be my excuse! Hee hee haw haw

I'll let everyone know in the morning if I get a chance to finish the project tonight and I'll email you specificly GB

Thanks
James

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good man.!! Also if you want/need to, call me collect. I'll be here. I think I gave you my tele. #. Anytime!!!!!

Gary

James Rader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, got yer number and if anything goes weird I may give ya a jingle. No need for the collect call, we have one of those unlimited long distance telephone deals... everyone we know is long distance and it is the only way we can afford it. Cell phones don't work where we live so that isn't an option either.

James

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AFAIK, I was the originator of suggesting to use the 1N5408 diode, 'cause it's more robust than some of the others that are recomended from time to time.

Have you seen this photo that I've posted here quite a number of times over the last few years?

The diode is shown "bare" for illustrative purposes, but I cover them in a double layer of heat shrink to preven the diode lead from flexing and breaking.

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Bob;
Your diagram is the one I sent him for the re-wire of his "N". From what I can tell, that diagram is the best one out here being used!!!
I'm answering you, on this for him as he is probably working on it as we speak.
Thanks.

Gary

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This izz a pix of one I installed 5 years or so ago, radio shack # 267-1144 3 amps 400PIV looks like it got a little hot sumwere along the line. Its solder at the connections Rosin core solder wif heat scrink are wuz, whut ya think, git'n a little green look'n,

dan hill

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would replace that one soon.A 6 amp 1000 piv diode would be a better choice.

James Rader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 12V conversion Diode question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I installed the diode with the printed line toward the altenator, soldered the connection then used a crimp over that, double heat shrink then taped it onto the 10g wire heading back to the wire loom... If that diode gets loose from all that sumthin wrong!

Thanks guys
James

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters