Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT valve adjustment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hvw

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know this is OT but I need some advice on valve adjustment and this is, well, the knowledge board.

I'm trying to pin down a loud noise in the valve train of a 93 toyota 22re engine.

It clatters loudly when under a load or just before shifting. Not at idle or when you let up on the throttle while driving. I'm hoping the valves need adjusting and here's my main question:

Why is it that the valves on this engine are to be adjusted with the engine hot? I'm burning myself to death and getting nowhere. Plus it's hard to diagnos the problem when you can't touch anything

I seem to remember one time someone on the board said it didn't matter on any engine whether it was hot or cold.

Help please! Any advice appreciated.

Greg_Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you sure its not preignition? (spark knock).

hvw

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Greg. No it's not that. I thought maybe the valves were hitting the valve cover. There's no physical sign of that though. I used a stethoscope on the valve cover and couldn't isolate the noise to the valve train. The noise disappeared when I removed the cover and cranked the engine. but for some reason I no longer think it's the valve train.

I beginning to think something is knocking or vibrating against the valve cover when the engine is under a load. Maybe something that has come loose. It's hard to see in that engine compartment because it's so crowded but I'm going to look for that possibility tomorrow.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be my best guess too Greg, some kind of timing/timing advance issue.

Greg_Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have not found anything wrong up top it sounds like a piston, piston pin, or rod bearing when it does it under a load.

jim spencer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the timing is advanced too far.
Retard the timing slightly and see what it does.
Must be spark knock.
Jim

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

look at the inside of the valve cover for ding marks. try hi octane gas.
buy a ford 8n and you won't have to liscense it.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

could b a chain guide izz broke, look down at the crank gear and check to see if the chain izz hit'n the front cover on the sides. front Crank bolt izz know to git loose check it may have worn out the key way on the front pulley.

cordell

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: OT valve adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with engine running,, pull each spark plug wire in sequence, then replace and go to the next one...if engine knocks on one or more..you have a low end problem....ie: rod or crank bearing

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters