Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need Help With A Clutch Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was bush hogging rather aggressively yesterday and when I stepped on the clutch while bringing the tractor to a stop, it didn"t disengage. Is there any way I may have damaged the clutch disc or pressure plate? I can"t picture it myself but I also can"t explain how the clutch could quit like that. The pedal feels normal, has decent travel, resistance, and is adjusted properly with very little free play.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They do that when they get tranny oil on them from the front tranny seal leaking, it gets sticky like molasses.

This may be a "quick fix"

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=613112

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I apreciate your input but I'm not so sure oil on the disc caused this, I would think a clutch that was working normally and then got oil on it would slip. However, pulling the starter and looking inside is a GREAT idea! I'm gonna bet a finger broke off of the pressure plate and it's not able to let the disc dis-engage. Thats my best guess for now.
Anyone else has a suggestion?

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ever read The Bible, remember the story about Ole Doubting Thomas?

I very much respect your right to doubt, but nearly 25 years of experience...

If it was working before that, tells me you have tranny fluid on yer clutch. No doubt that setting and rusting up will cause it too. But this apparently started while you were using it.

No it don't make it slip, it makes it stick like glue...

I had to jeark mine in and out of gear before I changed the tranny seal, and the swelled up clutch plate.

BTDT

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tomorrow I'll pull the starter and take a look. I keep plenty of brake parts cleaner here if it's contaminated.
I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for your help

Tom N MS

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree. Got mine split right now 'cause I nosed it in a ditch to replace the safety valve in the pump. Was all over with after that. It stuck and basically stayed stuck. When I split it, the pressure plate and the clutch disc came out together and I pryed the disc aloose from the pressure plate.... The input shaft seal was the original and all the rubber seal lip was gone and the spring from the seal was just spinning inside on the shaft..Waiting on a ring gear and new bendix I ordered today. I also need a throwout bearing housing/hub and a throwout bearing fork if anyone has one laying around.

duey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So just let me ask... did the ORC not release or maybe break its roll pin? (Usually a broken roll pin will jamb up the ORC)

Does it drive normal with the PTO turned off?

If you have ever run a bush hog without an ORC, they do carry you along unless you get clever about disengaging the PTO...

Just asking...

duey

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

VERY good answer, duey.

I didn't even consider that possibility.

duey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ahhh, but the jury it still out...

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Duey, I thought the same thing, there's no difference with the PTO engaged or dis-engaged.

Noah W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look closely at the bottom of the clutch linkage that is attached to the rod that goes through the tranny housing that the release bearing yoke is attached to. under hard and heavy(such as bush hogging) the collar of the linkage can crack. Mine did the same thing. I was stymied until upon Very close(and by accident) inspection, I notice when I mashed the clutch, the rod only moved a fraction of what it should. Had to replace the rod and linkage which required splitting the tractor.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Contrary to popular belief.. an oily clutch will become sticky and grabby.. NOT slippy.

Next time you are coasting along and hit the clutch and you keep going.. tap a break.. if it stops.. then your clutch is sticking. I keep my clutch blocked down on my 850 cuz if it sets for more than a week, it will stick for a bit when i first start using it.

good luck / post back with results.

Soundguy

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been there done that, when the clutch first failed to disengage a tree actually stopped me and with the clutch pedal depressed the the rear wheels kept on a turning.

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help With A Clutch Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok guys,
Heres what I know ..........
I took the starter off and it"s dirty in there but not exactly wet. With the clutch pedal blocked in two of the three places I could see the disc it had a gap on each side. A gap between the disc and the pressure plate and a gap between the disc and the flywheel.
No gap either side in the third position. I sprayed several cans of brake cleaner in the gaps I could reach, the third area never separated.
I put it back together and with the pedal blocked I drove it around and it never released.
Then I took it in the field and kept tapping the brakes and it still didn"t release.
Finally I stood on the brakes with the clutch still blocked and the tractor stopped, the PTO stopped, and the motor had some load on it so the disc was slipping but the clutch never fully released.

If it was stuck due to oil should it have released at this point?
It will be another week until I can split it but whats your thoughts?

Thanks for all the help, I"ll be sure to post the final fix.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters