Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New to site, sayin' hello.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom from Bancroft
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone! First time visting here and within five minutes, I have learned enough to make we want to join and say hi. I am from the mid-Michigan area and I am the proud owner of a 9n that I have had for 7 years. It's been a wonderful and reliable old work horse and hope to get lots more use out of it. Which brings me to the reason I was searching for a site like this, what is the actual lift capacity of a good working 3pt on my old tractor? I am thinking about getting a small tree spade to move some pine trees around and I believe with equitment, rootball and tree itself, I will be close to 6-7 hundred pounds. It will lift my 3pt disc no problem, I think that's about 500 pounds. But not sure on how much more it can handle. Any help would sure be appreciated, thanks.

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Tom, welcome to the board!

I have a hybrid '49 8N rear with a '44 2N engine that I bought about a year and a half ago. I'm located in Minneapolis, my tractor is located 2 and half hours NW, where my folks farm.

I can't answer your question about the tree digger, but my instinct would lead me to believe (I worked in a B&B nursery when I was 16) the N's lack of powerful hydraulics would be more of a problem than the capacity of the lift.

Colin

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! You might find these tips helpful; tip # 44 answers your question about lift capacity:

http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint268.htm

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i agree with colin. i believe the lift capacity is around 1600 pnds. The problem lies with the fact that the front end will bounce at around 800 pounds. The N series also does not have down hydraulics so if your tree digger needs to be pushed into the dirt...forget it. That is the downfall of these N tractors. But, they have numerous positives about them that they are still among the leaders as far as I am concerned.

Greg_Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Smiley courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org

Tom from Bancroft
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thankyou Bruce! I am printing those tips as I type this. Great info. And yes I agree, Colin, the hyd. are weak for anything other than the 3pt. I was thinking about an auxillary system. Prince makes a gear driven pump that slides over the pto shaft, that should operate the spade. Or, a complete self-contained system with engine/pump/hyd resevoir to operate the spade.

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A fellow board member, Zane Sherman, makes a device that gives the N series live hydraulics. If you were to make a new post with the subject line "Live Thang Questions" you'd probably get a bunch of feedback (and Zane would respond too, if he's around) as I know some of the folks here use it.

If you were set on using the N for this task, this might be one of the ways of going about it.

I'm including a link to Zane's web page.

Colin
Zanes Web Page

K.LaRue-VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome!

I am using a Prince PTO pump to run my backhoe attachment. All you can get by tapping the original hydraulics is about 2 gpm and I needed more like 10 gpm!
Backhoe

K.LaRue-VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also have Zane's Live Thang on my tractor. The belt-driven pump makes running a back blade or bush hog MUCH easier.
kl

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NICE piece of work !!! I've been playing/sketching a rotary mower (like the highways dept. uses for trimming the edge of the roads), but probably won't ever get it built.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to site, sayin' hello. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters