Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was bush hogging rather aggressively yesterday and when I stepped on the clutch while bringing the tractor to a stop, it didn"t disengage. The pedal felt normal, has decent travel, resistance, and is adjusted properly with very little free play.

Heres what I know ..........
I took the starter off and it"s dirty in there but not exactly wet. With the clutch pedal blocked in two of the three places I could see the disc it had a gap on each side. A gap between the disc and the pressure plate and a gap between the disc and the flywheel.
No gap either side in the third position. I sprayed several cans of brake cleaner in the gaps I could reach, the third area never separated.
I put it back together and with the pedal blocked I drove it around and it never released.
Then I took it in the field and kept tapping the brakes and it still didn"t release.
Finally I stood on the brakes with the clutch still blocked and the tractor stopped, the PTO stopped, and the motor had a load on it so the disc was slipping but the clutch never fully released.
If it was stuck due to oil should it have released at this point?
It will be another week until I can split it but whats your thoughts?

Thanks for all the help, I"ll be sure to post the final fix.

Ross Pugh(NC)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put it in 1st gear and run it at slow idle up to a big tree, cut it off just before you hit the tree. With the switch off so it won't start get your bumper about a foot from the tree by bumping the starter. Turn the switch on and start it up in gear and let it try to push the tree down. That should slip the clutch enuf to disengage it. Just be careful. Good luck.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a broken pressure plate. Seen more then one that one of the release arms broke on and if that happens it will not release like it should. Bad thing is the only way to fix that is to open it up
Hobby farm

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, they get on me for talking about soldering gas tanks with a torch, but this tree thing scares me to death, and I have had the dreaded oil on the clutch problem.

If you do try this trick make sure that you have a 3 point attachment on the tractor that is big enough to keep the tractor from flipping backwards, if it still doesn't turn loose, and decides to climb the tree.

murn ga

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave,before you split it,take a look at the short arm in front of the left step. This arm fits on the clutch shaft that goes thru the housing and your adj screw attaches to other end. I have seen several crack on the bottom and not be noticeable unless you look close and have some one push the clutch down and the crack widens.

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can slip the clutch by standing on the brakes with the clutch pedal blocked.

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Murn, thanks for the tip, I gave the all the linkage a really REALLY good look, everything is intact.

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Dunk, I had hoped to find oil causing my clutch to stick. A disc and oil seal would have been awesome. At this point I have to agree with old, a pressure plate won't hurt too much more.

I do have a tree story. My buddies backhoe had been sitting for almost a year in the woods when he decides to get it running again. He calls me later that day asking for help fixing it. I drove and he had no problem getting it started but the clutch was stuck. He rammed the front bucket into a tree over, and over, and over again trying to loosen up the clutch. You had to see the damage to the FEL to believe it! He sid he'd done it once before and it worked like a champ firt try .............

Dave_N_Ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wellllllll, It's apart ........ A pivot pin for one of the pressure plate fingers migrated out and the finger was just flopping around, the springs on that side are pushing the plate all the way out.
I re-installed the pin with the hopes of staking it back in but either the arm is wore out or a bushing is missing.
I'll pick up a pressure plate tomorrow and put old girl back together.
Thanks again for everyone's input!

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With A Clutch Problem - Updated Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know!!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters