Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Right Trans fluid?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik B

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ho hum, another dumb question. I purchased (a bit hasty I might add) 5 gal of Mag-1 SAE 80w/90 EP Gear Oil API GL-5/MT1 'recommended for servicing limited slip axles.

Is this proper for the ford 8n? It says nothing about 'yellow metal' protectant.

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as others mentioned...it should be "yellow metal safe" on the label.
gl-1 is recommended and napa carries it.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Erik.........GL-5 is NOT yellow metal friendly. It is EP (extreme pressure) additives that eat yellow metal. RETURN IT!!!. Get either GL-1 or GL-3. Pay attention next time........respectfully, Dell

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to the popular consensus here you should not run that.

GL-1 seems to be the accepted fluid here.

It is too thick for my lift in GA.

My lift works well on GL-5, has it hurt my brass parts??, I don't know, but I have ran it quite a bit of the time in the last 25 or so years.

Lift works with it, has issues with GL-1.

Right now I have half and half.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back to, "has it hurt my yellow metal?"

Well, my stuff still works 25 years later (I think it was about worn out then, when I got it 25 years ago).

I have been smoking cigs since I was 14, 37 years?

I have been smoking about 3 packs a day for the last 20 years.

Will it kill me, they tell me it will.

One thing I don't want to do is to lay up in a hospital or a nursing home dying of nothing for years.

I hope yall have had as much fun in this life as I have had, it is a sad thing to think that some folks have never known being happy, or getting to play on an N tractor.

I love all of my friends that live inside my computer, and in places that I will never see except for their wonderful pictures on the screen.

God Bless you, each and every one.

Dave H
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eric

Kinda like Dunk. When I was a kid my dad always added GL5 to the 2N.

I am about three years into socail security now and the ole 2 N is still happy as can be. A couple of splits for overhaoul during its lifetime, but the trans has never been touched and it still works fine.

Now that you have been admonished, I would imagine that you should go with GL 1 in that you will feel comfortable with it.

CT8N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GL 1 is getting a little expensive. I just paid $70.00 for 5 gal from NAPA

Dan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, and wisdom - however; I have a different view to offer up. You used the analogy of smoking cigs with running GL-5 gear oil in your N Series tractor. A good analogy if the point was don't worry and get on with living. My thoughts are smoking is a personal decision and usually only hurts you, but adding a fluid that is known to damage yellow metals to a tractor that will probably outlive you does not make sense to me. When I work on my tractors, I always do it right so the next guy (hopefully my sons) will not have to address the problems caused by my ignorance or short cuts. Given the proper care, these machines will last past your kids kids, so why put something in that is known to damage them "just because"?

Not judging, just giving a different view to yours...

Enjoy,
Dan

Dan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still get my GL-1 90w gear oil from my local NAPA for $35... Mine says Dutch Premium on the pail. Sounds like yours is looking for a quick retirement IMO.

Dan

CT8N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, he probably is retiring early. The GL1 I got is Havoline. The NAPA guy said the part number 65-205 is not valid anymore and they are substituting with the Havoline. I changed to get rid of the GL5.

Kenster
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a bucket at TSC for about $25.00. It said it was compatible with 134 A.B.C. and D. I would have gone with 90 wt/ GL1 but they didn't have any. I understand that 134 should be just fine. Maybe it's not as thick as 90 wt.

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't mind the different opinion one bit, Dan.

But, most of my tractor was worn out when I got it in the early '80s, well at least the engine, rear hubs, clutch, front pivot, etc.

The only yellow metal in the rear of it that I know about is the pump yokes. There may be some that I don't know about.

It is now 58 years old, I rebuilt it (the engine, and the clutch) when I got it, and then again a year or two ago, along with the front pivot, and in the last year the rear hubs and all of that, I even had a lower lift pin that was so worn that I broke it.

I have had the pump out of the bottom of it twice for cleaning during that time, and even with the fluids over the last 25 years, it still does the job it was made to do.

I don't know...

I'm still so dayum confused about what oil I should run in the engine I don't know what to buy, and I get more confused everytime there is a discussion about it, so I run what my Daddy told me to run, Havoline 10W 30. It may not be what I should run, but it the best I can figger out with the data I can get.

Eman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What yellow metal is in an N series trans? Just asking so I would understand. I have seen recommendations on Ford pickups to use GL-4 in the Bulldog manual trans because of yellow metal issues, but I"ve seen the yellow metal in the synchos in those trans.

Ross Pugh(NC)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid?/HEY DUNKHOW OLD? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey, Dunk, your numbers don't work out. You said you have been smoking cigs since you was 14 yrs. old, or 37 years. 14+37=51 years old and you also said you are now 58 years old. Can you tell me where the other 7 years went to? Are you sure you haven't been smoking for about 44 years?

Dunk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Trans fluid?/HEY DUNKHOW OLD? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 1949 8N is 58 years old, Ross.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters