Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

lift trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck s..

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok,got tbl. with lift on 52 n......check fluid is ok and no leaks at the piston ram and nothing else i could tell.....only got about 475 psi with pressure gauge....what do i check next....lift will pick up my boom pole,but nothing heavier than that...thanks for help

Dan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the safety valve is gone and popping when minimal weight is put on the system. When you are trying to lift a heavy object, do you see a lot of swiriling around the base of the pump towards the back of the tractor? If so, time to replace the safety valve.

Dan

OH Boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you changed the hydraulic fluid recently? It might just be gunk/debris stuck in the pump, control valve or pressure relief valve somewhere.

Pull the inspection covers off, start the tractor up, engage the PTO and look for any obvious leaks inside the pump housing. If you find fluid leaking somewhere or big swirls behind the pump, check back and describe it so the guys here can help you determine exactly what needs repaired.

chuck s..

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes dan that is exactly what i see with a heavy load on it,will u recommend what i should do next...thanks alot for your expertise

Dan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has been said that you can cut a wrench in half so it is real stubby and remove this saftey valve from the inspection cover. Here is a quote from our resident hydraulics guru Zane Sherman:

"You can replace the relief valve by removing the inspection plate from the left side where the PTO shifte is and bending an 11/16" boxed end wrench in a 45% so it can reach under the PTO so you can turn the valve. I have replaced probably a hundred this way. I personally had rather take a beating than drop the pump. It is a messy and difficult job. Have to drain the oil, remove the PTO, remove the right hand inspection plate and have to have at least two people to re install it because one will have to do the fitting it up through the bottom and the other will have to guide the contro valve into the eyelet in the pump. All this with oil dripping in your eyes etc. "

I just replaced mine when I rebuilt my pump. Either way, this should fix your problem.

Good luck,
Dan

chuck s..

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok i guess i need to replace the relief value...im guessing it is on the backside of the pump.....is it easier just to take the top off and try to do it ?

Dan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure - like I said, the times I have replaced saftey relief valves was when I already pulled the pump. I guess in theory I would think that would make it a tad easier.

Dan

dlplost
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

easyest way is to park with the front end down in a ditch. (makes the tranny fluid run up foreward, so it wont leak out the PTO.) Remove 4 bolts on PTO shaft and remove it. then go in thru one of the side plates to remove the valve. It's located on the center of the back of the pump directly below the PTO shaft.

chuck s..

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok im going to order a value....im going to wait till it comes and and take the top off,,,gotta be easier....dropping that pump is the nastiest thing in the world......thanks for your help and i will post back when i put it in

chuck s..

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: lift trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks, i will do that....got part ordered ...thanks for suggestion

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters