Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Engine problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jych4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Engine problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Iam very new to tractors, i purchased a 8n on ebay owner said it smokes and has smoked about 10 years. Anyways got it home to bush hog and noticed alot of what appears to be oil in the radiator, oil pressure is about 10 at idle warm and smokes and i took the plugs out and noticed oil on them too, my question is should i do a major rebuild or just a head job? Tractor runs good but probably not for long.

Thanks James

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the compression. Rings are probably worn. 10 lbs of oil pressure at a hot idle is not bad at all, meaning that the bearings might be ok. Not much you are going to do to the head that will stop it from smoking.

roger '40 9n

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Oil" in the water is usually just a head gasket.
Combustion by products get past the gasket and into the cooling water -- leaving "oil" on the water. It is not engine oil -- there are no oil passages in the head. Change your head gasket.

Be sure that you are using hot enuf sparkie plugs -- most folks here use Autolite 437 or Champion H12.

Roger in MichigaN

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jych4..........iff'n its been smokin' fer 10yrs, don't worry about it for now.

Change yer sparkies to AutoLite 437's, check gap = 0.025" right outta the box. 437's are hotter and burn oil off'n them so they don't foul.

Oil floating in radiator water is semi-normal; it ain't oil. It may be combustion by-products due to semi-leaky headgasket, or could be waterpump lube additive, or type of anti-freeze. Your belchfire-V8 probably has floating oil too, but you don't see it 'cuz you can't look direct into the radiator water. You need to do the dreaded "compression test" to tell iff'n you have bad headgasket or bad rings. Ford specs: 90psi min (dry).........Dell

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i am not a big believer in compression tests on an old engine, unless you are checking for a downed cylinder.
here is why: if you have worn rings then oil will get into cylinder and "seal" the rings during a compression test. thus it throws the reading off. i had 121 to 125 across the board on my 8n before rebuild. it just burned alot of oil. when i got my old parts back from the engine builder, i measured .030" gap between top ring and piston ring groove. it should be around .002". so, i had good compression but completely worn out rings. the bearings were perfect though. i also had around 6 - 7 oil pressure when hot. go to a 20w 50 oil and see what happens.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters