Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I kost the book I had all my geometry formulas in and now I need to find out quick how ling the third longest measurement of a triangle would be. The bottom is 125.0" long and the side is 172.5" and the corner between these two measurements is 90*. I need the distance between the ends of both the 171.5" and the 125.0". I know it has to be more than the 171" but can't remember how to get the correct figure. Got to get the stakes laid out for the new room that I am to have the backhoe here for tommorrow morning.

georgeky
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy, what are you doing? Trying to square it up. If so here is what I do . Measure 9 foot on one line and 12 on the other and it should be 15 feet between the two. Or 6 and 8 = 10. So according to my figures witch could be wrong as it has been a long time since I done much of this. Your other side should be 214 inches. Best I remember if you subtract the short side from the long side and add that to the long side that should be the right distance for squaring.

Monte (MN)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You give two different lengths for the long side, 171.5 and 172.5, so here are the answers:

for 171.5, the diagonal would be 212.22
for 172.5, the diagonal would be 213.03

CBTEX
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy, what you"re looking for is the hypotnuse of a right triangle. The formula is a squared + b squared = c squared. In your case the formula is 125*125+175.5*172.5 = the hypotnuse squared. Find the square root of that number and it is the dimension that you are looking for.

georgeky
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I might need a drink or two, I don't know where I came up with that at.

Ron in OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The dimension you looking for is 212' 1-3/4"

Little Ed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am getting 213.02". 125x125=15625 + 172.5x172.5=29756.25 = 45381.25 the square root of which is 213.02. Of course my calculator is probably made in China, and you know what I think of that. This ought to really confuse you.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks to all Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all that replied. I got the job done. Adding a utility room to the side of the house and as usual I am slow getting things done. Am to pick up a rental backhoe tommorrow morning between 10:00 & 11:00 to dig for a craul space under the floor. Had geometery in school about 49 year ago but use it so little I had all the formulas in a loose leaf notebook but havent been able to fine it for quite awile.

suptscottyb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. This is the 3-4-5 formula.(times 3 here) I mentioned on the other forum.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi George, That drink isn't moon is it? No rain so far. Hal

georgeky
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OT, can't remember my geometry, need formula Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Hal,It has been known to be from time to time. Don't have any right at the moment though. I do know a guy or two just up the road a bit. 94 degrees is a little to warm for that stuff. Fall will be here before you know it though. We had some rain last week, but it is cooking here now, and will need some more any time.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters