Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N Cranks, but no start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry in VA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi. I was repairing some wiring around the terminal block, and caused a big spark. Should have disconnected the battery, but... Anyway, now it cranks, but won't start. Am going to check tonight for spark, using an old plug as suggested here.

Is it possible to have damaged the coil or condensor when I shorted something at the terminal block?

This is a front-mount distributor, 6-volt system, hybrid 8N chassis, 9N/2N engine.

Thanks in advance.

eastexed

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you probably arced the points and they are stuck.
check for spark at plugs and trace back

KCM

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can't really damage anything downstream of the terminal block. Does the terminal block have a resistor attached to two posts? If so, you might have burned out the resistor which cuts down the voltage to the coil. Could have also damage the ignition switch. Do you have a two-post ammeter (not the loop style)? Could have burned it up with the short. Or might have caused a wire connection to lose contact with the arcing and the wire ends need to be cleaned. Best to take a voltmeter and work your way through the system starting at the battery to see if or where you lose the voltage.

Jerry in VA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will check for spark, and do a little more troubleshooting. There is a ballast(?) resistor on the terminal block. It looks OK, but will check it with the ohm meter. Engine cranks fine, so don't think it is an ignition switch problem.

BTW, what is the purpose of the ballast resistor? Does it simply drop voltage to the coil?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shorting something out like that will not hurt the coil, points, or condenser but it could have burned a wire and or fuse if it has one, never know if some one installed a fuse at some point seen more then one that had a fuse. Could also have smoke tested the switch there weak any how. I'd look for burned up wires and or the resister that if 6 volt will be bolted to the back side of the dash
Hobby farm

KCM

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could still be the switch as the starter does not go through the switch, just the ignition (engine will crank with the button by the shifter with the switch off). This is assuming it has an original style switch.

From what I've heard, the resistor is not a constant resistance, but changes as it heats up. When cold, it gives near full 6 volts to the coil for better starting. When hot, it cuts the voltage back to something like 4 volts to save on the coil and points. The resistors are cheap and not uncommon to replace just from breakage due to age.

Jerry in VA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

KCM,

You are absolutely correct about the starter switch and the ignition switch. I will check the ignition switch as you suggest.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sparks usually mean a 'short'.. if you short a circuit.. generally only components upstream can be damaged.. downstream compnoents outside of the short circuit loop are generally untouched.

thus i'd trace wires back from where you saw sparks tot he battery.. damage will be in that section..

Soundguy

Jerry in VA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Problem Resolved: Re: 8N Cranks, but no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did some troubleshooting with the multi-meter tracing -6V from the battery on, and found that I had a bad connection on one of the ignition switch wires at the switch. Maybe in all my futsing around I moved that wire enough to cause a high-resistance connection. Re-soldered the wire, and she started right up! Fascinating.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters