Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8n Carb bowl trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cat236
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not positive of the year I believe it to be a 52 8n. I have had for a couple of years and have been slowly rebuilding. Unit had set uncovered for many years before I got it and have repaired electrical and rebuilt distributor and changed to 12v system.Replaced radiator,waterpump and all hoses. Replaced fuel tank, sediment bowl assembly and installed a complete overhaul kit in carb.New float,valve needles gasket the works. I soaked in carb cleaner and used a torch tip cleaner to run through all jets and orifices and blew out with compressed air.Tractor will start and run but soon dies I know it is not keeping carb bowl filled with fuel. I have removed fuel cap to check tank vent.I installed a known good sediment assy.,replaced fuel supply line,removed and reinspected carb.If I watch sediment bowl it will fill but after it runs and dies or you drain it it takes a very long time to vent and allow it to fill again.Which of the passages in the carb are vent ports? Thank you in advance for any and all of your help.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cat........you write......."If I watch sediment bowl it will fill but after it runs and dies or you drain it it takes a very long time to vent and allow it to fill again.".......that is semi-normal. Your float valve needle is "sticking closed". Usually, there is a wire clippy from backside of the needle to the gravity operated float to pull the needle point OPEN. Not all float valves have the wire clippy, it is a "not to worry too much" kinda thing.

You write......."Tractor will start and run but soon dies I know it is not keeping carb bowl filled with fuel.".......this is usually a fuel valve assy problem, yer in-the-tank fill'em tubes are clogged. Maybe you can "back-blow" the gas line up from yer carb elbow filter joint. Also check yer carb elbow filter at the sametime. Don't OVERTIGHEN yer glass bowl thumbwheel.......Dell

Phil (NJ,Az,Sask)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
If I watch sediment bowl it will fill but after it runs and dies or you drain it it takes a very long time to vent and allow it to fill again.Which of the passages in the carb are vent ports?

The Carb venting is sourced from the space around the Venturi. The Venturi should be installed with "Flat" flange down. The Input to the Venturi area is a large port in the AIR inlet (Filtered)after the choke. The upper half of the Carb has the bowl venting ports

I don't think your sediment bowl should be Empty, at any time, unless the Carb bowl is FULL & Needle Valve is closed. If you open the carb drain the Sediment bowl should immediately fill & stay filled.

You may have a float that is hanging UP or the Needle valve is Sticking.

JMHO

Ken Crisman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it was me , I'd get an empty can or jar & hose . Set the can on floor ; unhook line to carb & slip the hose over the end of line & see if gas flows a good stream by letting it run into a can for a few seconds . Also check for debri from the tank .If it does good, then its your needle valve /float not working properly . When I rebuilt my carb I had trouble with the float rubbing against the ruffness in the bowl casting . Check the filters also . HTH ! Post back results & good luck . God bless, Ken

Phil (NJ,Az,Sask)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
The Venturi should be installed with "Flat" flange down.

BTW
The Venturi fits metal to metal, it is inserted into the gasket hole and then gasket is on the top of the bottom half. A damaged venturi that is not sealing Atmospheric air (Vent) from vacuum will cause problems.

RP-40-9n

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i think you have a sediment bowl problem, i have bought 2 new ones, had to take both back and repair the old one. pull the fuel line loose at carb and see if you have good flow at that point, if not then the cut-off valve is the trouble since you have a new gas tank, it should not be a dirt problem. RP

cat236
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RP-40-9N,In fact I did what you said this afternoon,after viewing the responses posted.When I remove the line from carb,it will in fact run fuel out without any stopping.However I am unable to repair the initial sediment bowl as it,as well as the tank were damaged by corrosion beyond repair.As you stated the entire fuel system up to the carb are all brand new.This is also the second sediment assy I have tried as I suspected this to be the problem.I am unclear as to how to resolve this problem I have tried two seperate suppliers of sediment assy's as well.With about 50.00 in sediment assys I would like to resolve.Thanks to all how have replied.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have M-S carb, the fuel bowl vent is in the inlet passage as it is on all pressure balanced carbs. If you split the carb, you'll see asquarish hole over the air inlet sectiion. There are a couple of cast holes in the upper half that are over the fuel bowl. If you do an archive search, someone last year pulled colored wires through the M-S carb and showed the bowl vent system passages.

A quick check for flow restriction is to hold a container uner the carb and with the the tank valve wide open, remove the bowl drain. Gas should gush out continuously like a cow peein' on a flat rock! If it doesn't, ifit's intermittent, or just dribbles, then the fuel delivery is restricted.

Does your sediment bowl have a screen on it? If it does it maybe clogged. Have you pulled the fuel inlet elbow to the carb and checked the screen in there for clogging. Finally, have you checked your float setting? it maybe off and restricting the flow.

bcPA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would put the patient on a IV. When I rebuilt my 8n and was not ready to replace the hood and gas tank what I did was use a used IV bag and clear hoses that my father insisted I take home from the hospital when he was a patient. Mom had a fit but he insisted. He said he paid for it and it was his and it was going home and not to be wasted and thrown out with the garbage. It worked perfectly as a temp gravity fuel source. With a similar set up you could comfirm or rule out a fuel line to tank problem.

cat236
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 8n Carb bowl trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you to all who helped out. I have it fixed a good friend brought a used sediment bowl and transfered some of the new parts to this one and installed. Runs great. thanks again.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters