Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Draft Control Plunger repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerky mark

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Draft Control Plunger repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need help! I just replaced the Draft Control Plunger on a FORD 9n... I took the seat plate off to get the old plunger out. Seat plate came off easy with three people. My problem was getting it back in after I replaced the Draft control Plunger. I took the inspection plates off after draining the oil, hooked up the linkage then hooked up that small spring that goes from the front of the linkage thru the linkage onto a notch in the back. This was done thru the inspection plates #@#@##!!!! What a pain!
THERE HAS TO BE AN EASY WAY!!!!!!
Question: How do you get the seat plate back in place without having to disconect that Damn spring????
Any help would be great cause it broke again! I am replacing the triangle draft control bracket also. I think it is worn oval causing the breaking of the Drat control plunger.

Dan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Draft Control Plunger repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jerry - since this is the second time you posted this exact same question, I want to take the time to reply as I know you are frustrated. What you are explaining does not really make sense - this is the reason for the lack of replies. A few questions will help us provide a wealth of information:

Do you have a repair manual? What is your experience with 9N tractors? Have you ever worked on hydraulics? These questions will let us know if you made a "rookie" mistake (no problem, everyone is a rookie at some time), or you are just not explaining yourself clearly.

Now, a few observations: You aren't supposed to be able to pull the draft control plunger out from the back side of the lift cover when it is attached to the tractor - you need to remove the entire top cover and remove the linkage this plunger is attached to. Now, I am guessing something must have really been broke to allow you to do this, so it makes sense you could not put the replacement in that way.

My suggestion is to obtain a I&T F0-4 repair manual if you do not have one as it gives step-by-step in depth proceedures with pictures on how to preform the simplest to the most major repairs to your 9N tractor. Then we can help with the "weird"" stuff that the manual does not cover and only experience can provide.

Dan

Jerky mark

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Draft Control Plunger repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is our hunting club tractor and I have all of the manuals. It is very basic on to fix this.
The plunger broke and I did take the entire seat of to remove the linkage. I had no problem till I went to but the hydralic unit ( one piece, I took only the outside bolts out) back, I attached the two arms that go down into the pivot pin in the bottom but I had to rebove the spring at the top to get it to seat. The problem was reattaching the spring thru the inspection plates. I am a newby and a week end tinker who since all of our old members that worked on the tractor pasted. I wish I would have spent time with them when they used to work on this thing.
If you could just explain ( In NEWBe terms how to get the seat plate installed would be great!
Thanks.

Dan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Draft Control Plunger repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok - I "think" I have an idea of what you are trying to do. Are you telling us you removed the spring that goes from the control fork (that hooks to the control valve on the pump) to the end of the lift cylinder housing and are trying to put this spring back on through the inspection port? If so, this spring needs to be installed prior to putting the lift cover back on to the tractor. The control fork that attaches to the valve on the pump is what needs to be attached through the inspection ports. I will say, it is VERY difficult to spread the fork apart with one hand while putting it on the "T" of this valve. Took me about 30 minutes and a few cuss words (and a blood blister from a pinch O got on the tip of my pointer finger once it did seat) to get this on.

What you are calling the seat plat is the lift cover. To install this you hook all linkages up, push your lift arms in the down position, stand from the back and use the big draft control spring and punger for support. It helps to have a helper here. Also, one tip to keeping the gasket in place and keeping everything lined up is to get a 4" long bolt that is 7/16" X 14 thread count and cut the hex top off. This way, you can put the gasket in place, hand screw these two modified bolts in place caddy-corner, then set your lift cover in place.

Hopefully, I am talking about the right issue you are having.

Dan

Jerky Mark

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Draft Control Plunger repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you are and I will try what you told me. Thanks for the help!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters