Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N - lots of progress - smoking - will it get any better?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Holifield

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: 8N - lots of progress - smoking - will it get any better? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well,
Here is a bit of advice...if you have a lot of play in the clutch pedal dont try popping it into gear....dang thing took off on me and I could not stop it!!!
After a long battle with a very rusty pin on the clutch lever adjustment and about one can of PB blaster I got it adjusted just right. New oil in the transmission etc. New soleniod and now it actually starts with the old starter with the 6 volt battery so very happy.
Last time I ran it there was some smoke but not too much....It has been sitting for a couple of days and now it is smoking pretty good again...starts clear then gradually increases.
I am convinced it is oil not water. I was told that if the rings are going to free up after sitting for many years it is going to take a while....but, how long should I run it before coming to my senses and realizing it needs new sleeves and rings?
How much tolerence is there in those sleeves? I took a green scrubby to the inside of them with mmo to remove the rust but I am sure I didnt scour the inside that much.

Lee

Lee Holifield

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 8N - lots of progress - smoking - will it get any better Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OH...coz I know someone is going to ask - I probably have run it for a total of 15 minutes at the most to date.

Lee

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 8N - lots of progress - smoking - will it get any better Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lee........ya already been told to use some "ATF" or MMO in yer sparkie holes to "un-stick" yer stuck rings. It takes several days to "un-stick" stuck rings.

Iff'n yer really being sphincterly obsessive about it, do the "dreaded" compression test on slightly warm engine. Ford specs: 90psi min (dry) You can either buy an el-cheapo compression gauge $20, or rent one from the autoparts store for $10 (cheap).

Always do the DRY first, then add about 1-oz of engine oil, ATF, MMO and take a wet reading. Reading should increase from 10-30psi depending on condition of engine rings. Post'em and we'll help you interpert them.........respectfully, Dell

Jack-Illinois

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 8N - lots of progress - smoking - will it get any better Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lee - Mine smoked for what seemed like a long time to me. I had put MM oil in the plug holes and let it set a couple of days. Then started it and it still smoked. Changed oil and added in 1 qt of MM oil there. I kept running it around easy every couple of days while working on other issues with it. Then it finally started running better and smoking a lot less. Now it is almost smoke free and uses very little oil. If it is just a project tractor, be patient it will most likely get better. If you are going to make a hard working tractor of it, I would just go ahead with new pistons and sleeves.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 8N - lots of progress - smoking - will it get any better Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now is when you need to take it out and work it good and hard so it heats up and by doing so it will loosen the rings etc. up even more. Takes hours to really stop the smoke. Think of it this way it sat for a long time so it will take a long time to clear up/clean up the stuck rings
Hobby farm

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters