Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

wheel frozen on a GM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill in BC
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: wheel frozen on a GM Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This must be a common problem. I can't get a rear wheel off of a GM. It seems to be frozen to the axel splines. It is the old style wheel with hub and wheel cast as one piece. I've tried heating the hub and prying with a 6 foot bar but no go. I made a puller out of a 3/4" steel plate and 3/4" rods and a 10 ton portapower. It was beautiful but it couldn't budge that wheel. Then I tried heat and the puller.....nope. I am wrecking this tractor for parts for a G that I am rebuilding so in a worst case scenario I could cut the axel or the wheel but it would kind of go against my religion to sacrifice either. Any suggestions as to something else I could try before I strike the cutting torch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

kd1369

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel frozen on a GM Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ued a similar puller setup on my G. I put a spacer between the axle and plate and hit with a sledge hammer between turning the screws. I think the vibration helped alot.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: wheel frozen on a GM Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing to do is not get in a hurry. Moving wheels in or out might take some time.

Before I work on a wheel/hub/tire project for the very first time on a tractor, PB Blaster is sprayed on the axle, hub, collar, and bolts every week at least 3-4 weeks before attempting to “move” the wheel.

If you are not using the tractor, jack up the axle, rotate/turn the wheel, and spray with PB Blaster. Take a small sledge hammer and “tap” on the hub, collar, and bolts. Repeat this process several times.

The key word when using the small sledge hammer is “tap”. One of the previous owners of my 43B splintered the cast center wheel. My favorite wife spotted the cracks when we picked up the tractor. When I carefully removed the wheel, it fell apart in 2 pieces. I was fortunate enough to find another cast center wheel for only $125.

I always use a rotary grinder with a wire wheel to “brush” the axle splines on both sides of the hub. Use a grinder to remove any “mushrooms” on the end of your axle splines created by previous owners with big sledge hammers.

A log chain is threaded through the holes in the wheel. I use an old mechanical jack to “pull” the hub/wheel by applying pressure on the axle. Rotate/turn the wheel and spray with PB Blaster. Take a small sledge hammer and “tap” on the hub. Apply more pressure with your jack. Repeat this process until you can “wiggle” your wheel off by hand.

After removing the hub/wheel, you should finish brushing the axle splines. Use a small wire toothbrush to clean inside your hub.

With the axle splines and inside hub clean and shiny, you should be able to “wiggle” the wheel back on the axle. If the wheel cannot be moved by hand, I use a big sledge hammer with a 12” handle and an oak block.

Oak blocks are less expensive to replace than cracked hubs or cracked wheels. Believe me when I say the recoil off an oak block is far less than the recoil of a cast wheel.

Put the oak block against the hub and “hit” the oak block. Rotate the wheel and hit the oak block. Repeat this process until you position the wheel to your satisfaction.

The process described above works fine for me because it causes me no bodily harm, frightens none of the farm animals, requires no help from my favorite wife, and keeps the neighbors from hearing my lack of vocabulary.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Ron in N.E. Colo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel frozen on a GM Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bill, I will tell you my story, and let you make the decision. I have a very early G and I wanted to take off the cast rears and put on steel wheels. I spent about 8 months spraying, pulling, heating, cussing, beating, and pulling some more. I built a large puller using a 20 ton jack. No luck! Finally, I took the complete axle and wheel out of the tractor. I then dug a hole for the axle to fit into, and put railroad ties under the cast wheel. Then I backed a loaded grain truck up over the axle and put a 20 ton jack between it and the stringers of the grain box on the loaded grain truck. That is the way I finally got the cast wheels off. They were good wheels and I didn't want to hurt them. Next time, I will just go get 2 bare axles from the salvage yard, and leave the axles in the wheels for another tractor. I don't think mine had been moved since 1937. Hope this doesn't discourage you. Ron

W Storm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel frozen on a GM Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my 50 G, Took a while but after spraying with PB Blaster. I loosened the jack screws and drove it through several bar ditches turning hard left the right while tapping the brakes. It broke the rust loose. Then I was able to work them out to the end of the splines. Like I say it took a few weeks of PB blaster treatments and a few trips through the ditches.
Wes

HAPPY DEERE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel frozen on a GM Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ye i did the ditch trick on some of my tractors but saying as your using it for parts i take it doesnt run but you could get pulled i quess

Bill in BC
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel frozen on a GM Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your solutions guys. I appreciate you taking the time. This forum is great. What is the ditch trick Happy Deere? This tractor can"t be pulled (front end removed) but I am curious as to what"s involved.

Bill in BC
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel frozen on a GM Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OH I should have read Wes' reply first to get the ditch trick explained. Sounds like a good idea and the easiest solution. Thanks all.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters