Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

TA Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayElgert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using my flail mower behind the 656 I just purchased. The grass has gotten pretty high and the ground speed of first gear is a bit too fast at 540 rpm at the pto. If I engage the TA in order to slow the tractor down and cut the entire field, will I overwork the TA and cause damage? or, should I take a less than full cut with more passes. I have made a couple passes with the TA engaged, and it works just fine. Sorry if it's a silly question, but this is the first red tractor I have owned and I don't want to cause damage because I didn't ask first.

Jay in CT

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's what it is there for Jay. Use it.

Allan

Kevin Meier Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

use the t/a side to pull with is fine but do not use the t/a as a brake that's usually the best way to damage one.

JayElgert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Alan, I just didn't know if it was there for short term use, or if I could keep it engaged for an hour or two while mowing. Thank you for the info.

Jay

JayElgert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin, the field is flat and really no down hill area, so I assume all is good to go with using it to slow the tractor down to a better ground speed. Thanks for the help!

Jay

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spent many hours on a 706IHC and 96 JD combine with pto drive. Most of those hourds were using the t/a to slow the tractor and keep pto rpm's up.

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Naw,

You can use that gizmo for months on end if ya want. Pretty tough buggers, really. :>)

Allan

GD720D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The T.A. unit in the 656 is a tuff unit even though it's the same as the SMTA. You can do what you want to on low side without any problem. Just watch going dwn hills. This TA unit will free wheel on low side. Some people are getting it mixed up with the TA that's in the bigger tractors. They will not free wheel on hills on low side because of the TA lockup clutches.

georgeky
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like others have said, that won't hurt it at all. I have baled lots of hay and all kinds of things with mine and it doesn't hurt them. For some reason folks think they are just going to fly all to pieces if you use them. It just isn't so. They will last for years as long as you don't let the free wheel over hills to much.

jk
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not to sound like a smart@$$, but is that the only way to kill the TA? the TA in my 350 was rebuilt about 30 years ago with used parts, and now sometimes when i use it, the drive wheel will slip, but i can hear the TA wind up, also smells kind of like burning hair. AND IT IS NOT GOING DOWN HILL, I AM ON A LEVEL SURFACE WHEN IT HAPPENS. for example, when i plow snow and get into some loose fluffy now, or when i rototil my garden, trans in 1st, direct is ok, but if the ground is too hard, it "slips" again and the tiller will actully puch the tracotor along. any ideas

Red Mist
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't sound like a smart-@$$, and I don't mean to sound like a smart-@$$ either, but have you adjusted it (annually) in the last 30 years? Keeping it perfectly adjusted is critical to long T/A life. That, and shifting it crisply. mike

Kevin Meier Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds like the ramp is slipping. Check all your adjustments first. Is it slipping in the high side or just low side?

pull the torque back!

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plowed a lot of ground with 656 and 706 and Dad would yell "Don't lug the engine in the red dirt, pull the torque back!" They are made to shift under a heavy load - if you hurt it pulling a mower there was already something wrong with it. Todd Hamilton

georgeky
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 57 model 350 diesel and a 74 666 with original TA in both and they work perfectly and I use them every day they work. The 666 has almost 8000 hours on it and the 350 is showing 65000 and the tach drive was broke for 10 years. I adjust them or check the adjustment at least once a year and never had any trouble. If you hear it in DD you need to check that adjustment. It does need to be adjusted exactly by the book.

kenindiana
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: TA Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always shift the TA crispily . In or Out boom in either direcvtion dont slide it in or that will cause problems . Be sur to adjust the TA and clutch regularly. We ran one in the back or direct postion for many years with no problems.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters