Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT but a wiring question...Dell, you there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: OT but a wiring question...Dell, you there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am re-wiring my old IH S120 - 1956 4x4 (hey, they also made tractors you know) - anyway, I have no wiring diagram and so with my meter and a lot of patience I have re-connected the front lights and the side/running lights. The back end is a dogs dinner of spaghetti wires - I have discovered one wire which is the lights when you turn on the headlights and the side lights. I am now working on the brake lights. I was expecting one line from the pressue switch at the master cylinder which would then T off to the two lights at the back of the truck - instead I find two separate wires from that point to the back of the truck - is this just bad wiring or is it a safety 'feature' so that if one brake light wire breaks there is another separate one? My instinct is to cut the whole mess out and run one wire from the side of the brake light switch at the master cylinder (the one which becomes live when you press the brake pedal) then T off at the back of the truck to each light.

Lee

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT but a wiring question...Dell, you there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lee.........there is 'nuttin' wrong with using separate wires from the hydraulic brake switch to each rear STOP lite instead of "T-ing" as you propose. Whatever you're comfortable with. Me? I like separate wires.........Dell

joe in Wilkinson

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: OT but a wiring question...Dell, you there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just fixed my granddaughter's 1999 Monte Carlo irratic brake light problem. The rear window stop light went directly from the brake pedal switch to the light. However, the regular stop light bulb circuit goes from the brake pedal switch "through the turn signal switch" with a separate wire to each side. I finally had to replace the turn signal switch in the steering wheel assembly. Not a simple job when you have an air bag. Your IH S120 may be different. Just a thought. I know there is a 43 years difference.

gahorN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: OT but a wiring question...Dell, you there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chances are that the brake light element (in the bulb) is also used for turn signal purposes. Therefore it's logical that two circuits be used to supply current to that element. (Another circuit would be present for the running/parking lights.)

Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: OT but a wiring question...Dell, you there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ha! I bet that is what it is....as there is a circuit to the front running lights which serve as turn signals as well - I bet this all links up as there are no separate turn signal lights at the back so the running lights, brakes and turn signals have to come from those lights at the back!!! Thanks.

Lee

DonO
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OT but a wiring question...Dell, you there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lee,
They are right Don"t know that i"ve ever looked at a International of that vintage but if they had turn sigs. built in (inside the collumn) the brake lights go thru the turn sig. switch.
You can add a set of extra lights on the rear for either turn signals or brake lights & add a external turn signal switch to avoid removing the steering wheel & asso. wiring. In most states on a vintage vehicle turn signals are not required Just brake light or lights. Remimber the good ole days of hand signals? But if they (turn sigs.) are on the veh. they have to work so you would have to remove them. Enough of my ramble.
Good Luck
DonO

Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OT but a wiring question...Dell, you there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks - this makes sense - I have a power wire going to one side of the brake switch down at the master cylinder (this is always live) - then on the other side the wire goes back into the wiring harness.....there are then two wires which come out at almost the same spot which are attached to wires which run back to the rear brake lights. So, I am hoping that this does as you said and goes back up through the turn signal and back down to those wires to the rear of the truck - I guess a separate current goes down the same wires when you actuate the turn signal.
Lee

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters