Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

X3, X17, and no suffix difference?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike CA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: X3, X17, and no suffix difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a '44 H with no suffix in the serial number. Often refered to as "Duel Fuel" or "All Fuel", I understood that these tractors could run on gas, distillate, or kersene.

So what is the difference in set up with an X3 (Kerosene) or X17 (Distillate) tractor? Why the need for the individual types if another tractor did it all, and what components made them different from each other?

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: X3, X17, and no suffix difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At the time your tractor was built, distillate fuel was the standard, kerosene was an option, as was gasoline. Because your tractor was a "standard issue" there did not need to be a suffix to identify the fuel type. Kerosene and distillate are not the same kind of fuel.

Mike CA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: X3, X17, and no suffix difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RustyFarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:48:58 08/31/07) At the time your tractor was built, distillate fuel was the standard, kerosene was an option, as was gasoline. Because your tractor was a "standard issue" there did not need to be a suffix to identify the fuel type. Kerosene and distillate are not the same kind of fuel.

That explains X3 and X1, but then why X17?

Do you know the difference between set up? Was the carb different or something?

Wardner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: X3, X17, and no suffix difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is where a parts book comes in handy. I jnow that there are different head assemblies for kero, distillate, and gas. Not sure there is anything more than that except for shutters on some models.

GA Dave
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: X3, X17, and no suffix difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just looked on the CaseIH site. They list seven different heads for the H. That's why you need to pay attention to serial numbers and type of fuel. Check the part numbers on your tractor. I realize some parts may have been changed through the years so good luck. David.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: X3, X17, and no suffix difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the only difference in the carbs may have been the main metering stem and those are fully interchangeable. The other difference is that the distillate and kerosene carbs had a petcock drain in the fuel bowl and the gasoline carbs usually had a simple 1/8" pipe plug in the drain hole. I say usually, there is some evidence that a few of the gasoline carbs DID have the drain petcock.

Mike CA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: X3, X17, and no suffix difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RustyFarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:02:15 09/01/07) I think the only difference in the carbs may have been the main metering stem and those are fully interchangeable. The other difference is that the distillate and kerosene carbs had a petcock drain in the fuel bowl and the gasoline carbs usually had a simple 1/8" pipe plug in the drain hole. I say usually, there is some evidence that a few of the gasoline carbs DID have the drain petcock.

I'm looking for that very drain for my own carb right now! Smile

Harold H
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: X3, X17, and no suffix difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The compression ratio was also different for each; kerosene, distilate, and gasoline plus for altitude options.

Harold H

Mike CA wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:30:12 08/31/07)
RustyFarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:48:58 08/31/07) At the time your tractor was built, distillate fuel was the standard, kerosene was an option, as was gasoline. Because your tractor was a "standard issue" there did not need to be a suffix to identify the fuel type. Kerosene and distillate are not the same kind of fuel.

That explains X3 and X1, but then why X17?

Do you know the difference between set up? Was the carb different or something?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters