Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Welder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would love to teach myself to weld. It is the one thing that I've never had to do but always wanted to do. My question is this, what kind of welder should a newbie buy that would enable him to perform enough to do a wide variety of projects? Bear in mind I don't want to build a bridge with it but would like to be able to do a variety of shop type projects. any suggestions would be appreciated.

JohnIa

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, I work in a metal fabrication shop. We had arco wire welders, they do ok but, we seem to have trouble getting parts for them. So were switching over to lincolns and millers. I prefer the lincoln because for me their easier to set. And you can weld 16gauge to 1 inch steel with them. hot and cold wire. But your talking around $1500 for welder and gas tank. If you just want something to play with go to an auction and pick you up a lincoln 225 buzz box { arc welder}. It will handle up to 1/2 steel no problem and you can pick a used one up for around $50. Great farmer's welder. John

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Ditto on the 225 suggestion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A simple and inexpensive way to start - not to mention a right handy gadget.

TOH

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim;
The 225 Lincoln buzz box, is what I'm using to learn on. A very forgiving welder for learners.
I picked mine up at a flea market for $50. Works great for small jobs around the work shop. These are called "the little red barn", and are also offered in the Sears cat. for $499.95 new.

Have fun.

Gary Smile

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That $500 welder is the AC/DC unit - the AC 225 is $279 and overpriced at that.

TOH

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

whatever you decide to buy get a full sized welder, dont go get one of those little 110v arc ones in the box store, i made that mistake 3 years ago because i was on the road, needed to fix something and thought "its just for 1 job" well it didnt work for that and 3 years later im still trying to find that "1 job" that thing can actually do, i weld all the time here on the farm with a miller mounted on a trailer, so its not that i dont know how to weld, anybody have one of those things that actually works?

bill cary
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ditto on the 225 suggestion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having welded for year"s and taught a lot of other"s to weld this is My take. Depending on how much you are willing to spend the 225 buzz box is great to learn on. The 225 ac-dc model being the best. DC will get greater penetration and is better for overhead welding. But if your budget will allow it buy a gas welder and cutting torch and start out using coat hanger"s as welding rod"s it will teach how to control the puddle of molten steel and you will learn how to control the weld. Mig welder"s are for production and speed but don"t alway"s get good penetration they just look good. I can teach a monkey how to mig weld in a day but you would get just that.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lincoln buzz box is hard to beat. If you watch around you can pick up a good used one for around $150, new around $300 now days. When I got my first buzz box they where $100 new but thats been a few decades ago. Yep same welding they last
Hobby farm

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and if you have a technical school nearby, take a welding course. Welding is a skill that's hard to learn out of a book. I did this about 20 years ago and lost some proficiency because I didn't do any welding for awhile. I'd like to take a refresher course and if I find a place to do that I will.
A Lincoln AC or AC/DC is a good unit to have for your use. They are relatively cheap and you can often find them used and they are a very simple unit.

JimH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your input! I will begin looking for the 225 Lincoln, although it sounds like buying one new won't be an option so it's off to auctions for me...

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my opinion the best welders are the DC generator type welders like on gasoline powered or motor driven welders. I worked as a master mechanic on construction for years and I can assure you there never was a straight transformer electric welder used on construction. They just won't do the job near as well. another thing about DC generator welders is that they do not produce the 60 cycle buzz that electric welders do and are much easier to strike an arc with. The "buzz box" welder is notorious for sticking when you try to start the arc.

To learn to weld on your own though I would buy a good 220 volt wire welder. It does not have to be a gas shielded welder. The flux cored wire is good for the beginner welder to use and does not require gas shielding. The advantage of a wire welder to the beginner is that you do not have to learn the art of "striking the arc" With the wire welder all you got to do is put the wire where you want to start and pull the trigger. It will start welding. That is what I would use for the beginner.

Zane

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters