Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug in Illinois
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just want opinion as to best gun for coyote control. They are getting braver again, had a couple in the grass waterway about 100 to 150 yards from the house this morning right about dawn. I am thinking maybe a 22-250 or .223 I know it is just a waste of time to take s shot with my .22 at that range, really don"t want to use the 30-30 either. Could try setting a kill trap, but afraid could get a domestic dog by accident, besides coyotes are smart enough that if I got one that way, it would probably be the only one.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd go with something like a 270, the reason is its also big enough for deer and other bigger stuff. Ya I know you probably have shot gun only deer hunting there but who know you might hunt in another state also if you hunt that is. 270 will reach out there and also have a good bit of knock down power out at 300 yards plus
Hobby farm

Ken Crisman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Man that 22-250 oughta get em . Boy I'd love to see one so I could try my wildcat - 6mm-284 . I've never seen a coyote myself , but they're around these parts . I haven't killed anything yet with it but would love the chance . I quit hunting because of the new Pa game commision laws & health problems (bad back & legs ) . Let me know how ya do with that caliber with pics( callj.j.s@verizon.net ) . I always wanted to add a 22-250 & a 17 ( built off the 222 case ) to my collection before health & finances interrupted .I used to hunt woodchucks (groundhogs) alot with my 243 Win model 70 heavy barrel . Man it was a shooter . Good luck & God bless , Ken

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's wrong with the 30-30 ? They make some new flatter shooting ammo for them now. I think Hornady Leverution ? or something like that.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anything that prevents them from getting home!! 223,22-250,2506,270,7mm,ect. guys to the west of us use a 3006, spreads them open like a can opener!! I have used an SKS also.

mike in new mexico
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

204 Ruger,32 grain over the counter Hornady,mike

sd pete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have shot them with a 30 - 30 22 mag and a 243 they all worked

KIP in MX
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I´ve done quite a bit of coyote hunting in Pike county IL over the years. Most of the guys there use 223, 22-250, and 243. I have each and still prefer the 243. If you are only shooting 100-150 yards, a 223 or 204 Ruger would be excellent. In NM we used larger calibers on the ranches due to distant shots and wind, usually 270, 7mm Mag or 300 win Mag.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Billy NY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ones you suggest and all the others are good choices, just dial in any of em with the right "fodder" in a decent model rifle at those ranges which should be fun and not that difficult to do, you'll take care of those targets.

I never tried to long range, say over 100 yards with a .30-.30 or .32 special in a Win. model '94, good in brush and short range, always wondered how far you could effectively and consistently shoot that round, every household had one of those for whitetail deer, working man's deer rifle, sure fed a lot of families.

Being more familiar with the traditional rounds, .270, .223 would be ideal in the flat shooting department, but that .17 is really impressive, was hitting crab apples off the top of the target board at 100 yds, not sure what the zero on that one is, but one right after the other, nice tight groups, not the same wallop as the others but the hunting .17 rounds placed appropriately ought to do the job.

Yesterday we tested out a new Savage tactical .308, heavy barrel, 20" barrel, 1 in 10" twist, not sure of the number of grooves, BSA 6-24 x 40mm scope, with just with regular military ball ammo, it's a tack driver, 2 stage adjustable trigger takes some getting used to, crab apples on top of the target board at 100yds and some very tight groups, next time will be out to 200 yds, shoots like that .17 did, which was a pleasure to shoot.

Greg_Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why not a Barrett M107? (Wink, Wink)
Barrett M107

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with KIP, its hard to beat a .243 with a bolt action or in semi-auto.

Doug in Illinois
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May give that a try. Have some old ammo left, but just can't shoot a consistent pattern with it. You think could be ammo issue rather than nature of this old gun? It is an old Marlin lever action model 336 with Weaver 1.5x4.5 variable scope.

Wyokid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How 'bout the next step in total annilation-Anzio Ironworks 20mm-1600gr. at 3000fps-3000 yd range. Guaren-da*n-teed to make him wish the Roadrunner was his only problem in life.

Wyokid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How 'bout the next step in total annilation-Anzio Ironworks 20mm-1600gr. at 3000fps-3000 yd range. Guaren-da*n-teed to make him wish the Roadrunner was his only problem in life.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Best gun to shoot coyotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd sure give that new ammo a try. They special developed a polymer tip that won't set off the primers in the tube magazine so you can shoot pointed bullets. That alone will help flatten them out, but they also use a special powder too to up the velocity and keep pressure safe.
I'd check your scope mounts and make sure their tight. Marlins usually were a pretty good gun ?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters