Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the difference in the actual fluid path connections in the 8N & the 9N pumps? Are they doing the exact same thing with the Intake & Exhaust valves that the 9N did with a combination valve called the Control valve? Was this a change made just for the purpose of the Ford/Ferguson litigation?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Beats me, Hummmm should have not used that word ken just spanked me rite hard, gonna go put some slick'em on my butt its rite r'all. Later its shut eye time with one eye open of course.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've wondered about that, as well.

Remember, the change to the option of postion control or draft control was made at the same time. The revised valving perhaps was brought on by the more complex demands of the position control system.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK new day can sit down again, gonna go out on a limb. I think they are purt near the same, the 8N has built in position control in the lift linkage were the 9N/2N did not. I spec that"s were Zane saw the light and came up with his position control for the 2N/9N lift. I have never seen one but would think its a exteranal device that works in the same way a 8N does.
I have never had a 9N/2N pump out, best I know all is the same sept the control valve.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The changes were definately a part of the changes that Henry had made so he could sort of legally steal Harry's invention before the patents legally ran out. The 8N pumps 2 valves do exactly the same thing as the 9N 1 valve but uses a separate intake and exhaust valve instead of the ingenious valve intake exhaust combination valve that Harry invented.

No matter how Henry and Harry got together and managed to build that 9N tractor the whole world is fortunate that they did or we might never have had an effecient tractor. Did you know that Harry Ferguson's invention ideas for the draft control and three point hitch is still encorporated in some way in just about every tractor built nowdays in the entire world??? This 70 years after it was invented by Harry. Talk about the enlightment!!!!!!!!!!

Zane

Joe (IN)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zane has spoken and regarding N hydraulics, that's about the most authoritative opinion you'll get. I agree with him completely. I was rebuilding an 8N pump at work last night and happened to compare it to a 2N pump I had stashed as my next project. No real reason at all that I can see for the two valve setup other than just needing to change the design to suit somebody. The 9N/2N pump is much simpler, does the same thing, and I'm sure that the control linkage on an 8N could have been designed differently to use the same pump.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I have a MF275 (mid to late 70's)& the similarity is definitely there! It just looks scaled up from 24 to 67 HP.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh! Thanks to all you fine folks for your replies & comments on this as I am really interested in this sort of 'history' as well as the detail technical workings of the system. In working this I have actually found the most detail drawings from a British Ferguson source...a fellow there was very helpful.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been look"n for that link can ypu post or send it to me, thanks.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 8N vs 9N Hydraulic pump valving ATTN:(HOBO, Zane, JOE(IN Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ran up on this while I was look'n
Big Deans site

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters