Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Seat Time and a Lift Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally got some seat time today. My wife let me get a 30" scoop for my birthday (she's a keeper!) So I moved about 10 yards of fill around to various low spots in the yard. SO much better than a wheelbarrow and shovel!

I backed into the pile pretty good once and the lift wouldn't pick up the scoop. I drove out of it a little and it picked it right up. The lift falls gradually (within 15 minutes or less, even w/ no implement) after shutting the engine off - it has since I got it this spring. I know about looking for drips or squirts inside, etc - but I was wondering - can I tell by looking what fluid the prior owner has in the rear end? He said he just changed it last fall, but I don't know if he put in the GL-1 or something else. I lost his number so I can't call him and ask.

Also, is there a gasket I have to replace after I remove the dipstick inspection cover?

Thanks!

Joe

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the dipstick and wipe across yer fingers.. it's it's water like 10-30 engine oil.. it's a UTF fluid... if it's thick and won't drip without help.. it's probably a 90wt gear oil.

Now.. 15 minutes of hang time with pto off ain't too bad. probably a slightly leaky lift piston OR a slightly leaky relief valve.

So.. yuo backet into the dirt, shifted to neutral, let yer foot off the clutch and tried to lift the dirt and it would not?

if so.. i'd load the lift very heavilly and remove the inspection cover and look in for the leak. I've lifted mounds of dirt on my 30' scoop that made the front end bounce off the ground..

Technically yes.. the inspection cover has a gasket.. however it is not a presurized sump, and that is one of the few rear lift compartment gaskets that is acceptable to lay a thick bead of rtv on it after wiping down both mating surfaces with a cleaner solvent like naptha.. etc.. and then reapplying using the old hasket that is likely still stuck on there.

if you do find a squirt.. don't pannick. full R&R of the lift cover and pump is about an 8hr job and if no hard parts are bad, can be done dfor a piston, and some gaskets and orings for less than 100$ including the relief valve plus the cost of new fluid..

soundguy

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"she's a keeper"

You're wife, or your scoop? ;-)

Congratulations on the new tool.

Colin, MN

Joe in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soundguy -

Thanks for the quick reply. The fluid is actually about the color and viscosity of 10W30 - it drips off the dipstick pretty easilly.

You typed:
"So.. yuo backet into the dirt, shifted to neutral, let yer foot off the clutch and tried to lift the dirt and it would not?"

That is correct. The scoop was darn near buried, though - I actually hit the side of the pile a lot lower than I intended. I loaded the scoop up enough to make the front pretty light a few times - not quite bouncing, but close. The hydraulics were slooow going up, but they did. I only mentioned it because I had heard that the hydraulics would lift the front of the tractor, and in this case the tractor didn't move any more than the three point. It worked great the rest of the morning, though.

I'll check the relief valve tomorrow. (gotta go to work in a few hours - no time now Sad ) If it's squirting, I'll probably order a new one, and change the fluid to the correct GL1.

Joe in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"You're wife, or your scoop? Wink "

Both! 'Course, you can buy a scoop just like mine anywhere, but my wife is one of a kind!

By the way: total yield from my garden was three ears of corn (coons got EVERYTHING the day before I was gonna pick) and 2 pumpkins. I'll try harder next year, and maybe we'll actually get some rain.

Take care!

Joe

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Corn fattened coon's gotta be good for something. How about greasing those zerk fittings? Really sorry to hear about your garden. If it's any consolation, we had a bumper crop ... until an early killing frost the first week of September. It was so cold that even the 2nd planting of sweetcorn, let alone tomatoes, eggplant, etc, bit the dust. Last year we were harvesting until about this time last year.

Colin

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it had 90wt inthere I'll bet it woulda lifted the fron't up a bit more. the thinner utf and the minor leak you have probably got is where your reduced lift issue is stemming from I'll bet.

still it don't sound too bad.. lifting enough to make the front end light aint bad neither is 15m of hang time.

might just be an oil issue.

soundguy

Upper Peninsula, MI.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe. Doesn't sound to bad. When the steering gets light you have lifted a lot of weight in the bucket. You do know that most rear buckets can be used to back into or drive forward into whatever your going to move. For road work at camp I often mount the bucket to drive into the dirt, drive to where it will be dumped, dump it and keep on moving. Never stopping you can move a lot of dirt in a short time. Have fun. Ron in Mqt.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the tractor doesnt sound like its in to bad of shape especially working that hard, now on the coons if you'll just sit up a nite or two you can shoot them , and i know somebody on here will have a good way to prepare coon fit to eat, now is that coon corn or corn coon[ smile] i would have plenty of squirell here but my coondog has killed 23 in the last 2 months and he gets right testy about sharing his snack that he worked so hard to get

old 9

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe , It is going to get COLD pretty soon in Michigan You might want that thinner oil this winter.
Joe from Indiana where it also gets cold.

Joe in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Time and a Lift Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies everybody. I'll check the relief valve and probably change the oil.

As far as mounting the scoop to drive it forward - the pile of dirt I was moving was almost 5 feet high - mounting it backwards was probably the only way to go. When I dig sand from the back of my property, I'll probably be going with the forward option.

Hope everybody has a good autumn - one of my four favoirite seasons!

Take care and God Bless

Joe

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters