Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Internal Tire Balancing Materials

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pburchett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Internal Tire Balancing Materials Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a set of tires that are impossible to balance. Dynamic balancing, static balancing or a combination does not help these tires for more than a few miles (15-20), and then they start to shake and shimmy. Static balancing on a bubble balancer normally does better than the spin balancer.

The front end of the truck is in great shape and has no loose or warn parts. The rims are in good shape with no bends, warps or bad spots. It is just these tires. Different tires stop the shake and shimmy, but these I have on the rims now have an aggressive tread and I would like to run them during the winter months.

I had an old-timer tell of stories of putting a few ounces of antifreeze in the tires to continuously balance your tires as you drive due to centrifugal forces. I searched the web and found internal balancing materials that distribute itself in weight and position dependent on the balance requirements of the individual tire. These materials (some commercial & some home engineered) include powders, metal, plastic, glass, or Teflon beads, vermiculite, Air Soft pellets, Slime tire sealer, Simoniz Sealtite tire sealer, PJ1 tire sealer and the list goes on.

I was thinking of adding 2-3 oz of Simoniz Sealtite to each of the tires to try and stop the shake and shimmy. Any suggestions??

Iowa_tire_guy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Internal Tire Balancing Materials Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a product that is small glass beads in semi tires all the time. Some advantages and disadvantages. I have heard many homespun products and cannot attest to their usefulness but the products I have used work pretty good. And they rebalance the tire every time you start up so they would probably work for what you want to do. They all work on the same principle that when the heavy section of the tire hits the road the vibration bounces the beads up to the other side of the tire which is lighter so the beads end up on the lightest part of the tire. Gemplers sells the beads and would probably be worth the investment rather than trying the homespun products.

Noob

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Internal Tire Balancing Materials Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just put a golf ball in it.Works like a dream.I used to change tires at a truck stop and almost every tire I changed had a golfball in the front sterring tires

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Internal Tire Balancing Materials Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My personal preface is not to add anything loose in a tire to balance it. But I know many people that do it with good success.
Depending on the funds you have available for this project; you may want to goggle Centramatic Wheel Balancers and check out that option. This is what I use. They are a little pricey when you look at the upfront price but you will never have to balance a tire again. It is a one time cost for the life of the truck. You could even swap it to a new truck if it has the same rim bolt pattern.

If you do decide to use a in tire balancer you want that moves freely. I would think the slime would take a while to balance out because of friction in the tire. You also want many small items rather than one or two big items.
Just to throw out some #'s lets look at what happens in the tire.
Lets say you dump 3 oz of balancer in a tire but you only need 2 oz to do the job. First 2 oz is going to settle in the area needed. This remaining 1 oz needs to spread around the tire. So you would wind up with 2 1/2 oz where it is needed and 1/2 oz 180 degrees from that to off set the over balance. It is very hard to get one or two big items to balance a tire this well; especially on smaller sized tires.

oleblu
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Internal Tire Balancing Materials Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DO NOT use golf balls, they chaff the inside of the tire. The tiny beads made for balancing are by far the best in tire method out there.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Internal Tire Balancing Materials Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had the powder in tires just make sure there is air, there before you check the pressure with a gauge as some of the powder can get in the valve core and cause a leak by holding the core open so put a little air in first just to blow the powder out of the stem and core first will cure that issue.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters