Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newfarmer9

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1979 GMC C35 (1 ton 2wd) single-rear-wheel truck. I am planning on putting an in-bed hitch in it, however I cannot decide between a fifth wheel or gooseneck. Which would you recommend? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? I am planning on towing tractors and farm machinery with the truck, nothing too heavy and not for extended distances. Thanks for your input.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fifth wheel hitches , if a well made model have more control over the trailer and some are stronger than a gooseneck ball, but they are expensive to buy, for one worth having, and the mount stays in the truck bed even when the hitch itself is removed,also for light duty towing they are mostly used with rv's unless the trailer is special ordered, the gooseneck is far more common, works really well and if you purchase one like the flipover ball mount will almost dissapear when not in use either will tow any trailer cabbable of being hauled behind a 1 ton

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One reason fifth-wheel hitches are installed on RV trailers is because they self-align for attaching trailer to pu. Another plus is no safety chains to hook/unhook which I think is a mystery why they are safer than a gooseneck set-up..Tx Jim

MSM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go the gooseneck route,especially if you are going to use the truck/trailer combination off road like for picking up bales or hauling in and out of the fields. It gives you a greater range of motion in the hitch area.Also like was said below,if you use a flip over ball,the bed is clear. Another consideration is some localities consider a trailer with a 5th wheel hitch the same as a tractor trailer with all the rules/regs etc that go along with it.

Paul from MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'll have a much easier time finding equipment trailers with a gooseneck hitch. Also you'll still be able to have full use of your pick-up bed with a gooseneck.

newfarmer9

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys...definately sounds like a gooseneck is more suited to what I want to do with the truck and trailer.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both have there good and bad points. With a goose neck you HAVE TO USE safety chains but you don't on a 5th wheel. Goose neck hauls less then a 5th wheel does and also less safe as in brake aways. May self I went both ways and have both on my hauling truck plus a bumper hitch. One of these days I'll also have a pindle hitch if I ever get around to bolting it on that is
Hobby farm

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:52:39 12/04/07) Another plus is no safety chains to hook/unhook which I think is a mystery why they are safer than a gooseneck set-up..Tx Jim

There is no mystery why you do not need chains with a 5th wheel.
The reason is they have a positive lock system. Once they are locked they can not come loose unless something breaks. You can not get this with any kind of a ball hitch.
The other reason 5th wheels are better than goosenecks is they will carry more tongue weight. This means very little when you are talking 1 tons and smaller because the gooseneck ball can carry all the weight the truck can anyway.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: John in La Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John,I'm familiar with a fifthwheel hitch from my 18 wheeler driving days but I have a question. When one hooks up a gooseneck trailer and latches coupler is it not locked on the ball? If one can drive a tractor on trailer and raise rear wheels of pick-up off ground (not recomended) is that coupler not locked on ball? The kingpin on RV trailers is not vey large compared to some ball shafts so please explain how they are safer. Thanks,Jim

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: John in La Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was not trying to insinuate in any way that a RV 5th wheel would pull any more weight than a gooseneck ball. The 5th wheel pin size or the ball shaft size would determine this. Also a gooseneck ball can be very strong if locked correctly to the point of lifting the truck off the ground as you say. A receiver ball or bumper hitch will do the same.

The point I was addressing is the way a ball hitch latches. While I have not been around a lot of gooseneck trailers the ones I have seen have a latch that can come loose. It may be very rare but it does happen just threw vibration. Some bumper hitches even have a adjusting screw that can be out of adjustment.
But on the other hand if we look at how a 5th wheel latches we can see how it has a positive latch. Vibration can not allow it to come loose.

While I may not be able to explain it in words I would be willing to bet that if we took a poll we would get many more people saying they have seen a ball hitch fail over a 5th wheel. I would even go as far as to say if you have ever seen a 5th wheel that has come undone it was most likely not hook right to start. Most likely high latched as they call it in the business. But I think everyone here has seen at least one ball hitch come unlatched in transit.

Another common latch that has 2 versions is the pindle latch. If you look at the cheep version you can see that the trailer end just sits in the truck end. The only thing that stops it from coming loose is the latch. This is OK for light loads because the latch can handle small weights.
Where as the heavy duty version has a air operated pin that mashes against the trailer portion of the hitch and holds it tight. In this version when you stop the air pressure is holding back 20K lbs +. Without this air support every time you stopped the latch would feel this weight. It would soon fail under these conditions.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: John in La Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ONLY time I have seen a ball hitch fail, and I've seen it twice now, is when the operator determined that it was not necessary to close the latch because he was only going to move the trailer a short distance and then forgot and headed on down the road. Actually, in both cases, there was no mechanical failure. What really failed was the operators intelligence, or lack of.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you use the inverse 5th wheel there is no more than there is with your flip down ball to interfer with the bed for hauling things. I would use the 5th wheel rather than a gooseneck for the ease of hitching up and also the pin will fit in the 5th wheel of a semi tractor if needed and try that with the gooseneck ball. LOL Now most trailers I've seen the piece for the ball on the hitch could be removed and the pin for a 5th wheel put in its place just need to change hitch in bed of truck.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters