Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

M in wisconsin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TPIA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I purchased a old M Farmall near Madison Wi I live in central Ia will I need any permits to get it into Iowa ? Have 3/4 ton PU and 5th wheel trailer to haul it on THANKS Tom

Chuck730DSE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has gotten much tougher to "haul your own stuff" over the past years. CDLs and DOT numbers are just like DUIs, used to be you seldom heard of it.
There are so many issues with getting on a public road with a loaded trailer that it is safer to pay a licensed trucker to haul it.
If you end up in an accident, it could take everything you have to get out of it.
There are just too many that have jumped on the roads with faulty equipment, overloaded, inexperienced, etc.
It only takes one to make a big mess of kill people.
The troopers know all of the ricks, including "running at night" to avoid detection.

TPIA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CHUCK I know what you mean , It's unbelievable what some of the trailers that people haul their tractors on when we have the Great Iowa WHO Tractor ride .saw one this year with the tractor sitting with one tire sitting on a cement block to clear the fender Tom

Lodemia2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To answer your question, NO if you are not over weight, width ot height. Farmall M should be no problem

I have a 3/4 ton with a 24 ft bumper hitch trailer and have been in IL,WI,MI,IN,KY,TN,IA,and MO with no problems.

Just make sure everything works and truck and trailer are legal.

I have a class A CDL, so I stop at all weigh stations, but I also avoid them if possible.

Should be no problem if you do it right.

marlowe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

stay a way from the scale at 151 an 11 east of Dubuque

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of us haul collectible tractors-combines-pulling tractors-etc 10-20,000 miles per year and we cant afford to hire it all hauled.At $2-3.00 per loaded mile it would break us.

We arent going to let the fear of having a wreck keep us all at home.Most wrecks are caused by stupid drivers in cars around here.I cant remember the last time someone hauling a tractor in this area caused a serious wreck,much less a fatality.

I have insurance,have the proper equipment,have the load well secured,take lesser traveled roads,drive at 50-55 mph,and drive 1/2 mile ahead.

If you dont have the proper equipment then maybe one should hire it hauled.A 3/4 ton pickup with a HD 16-18 ft bumper hitch trailer will easily haul an M Farmall.I have a friend thats hauled a 4500 lb M Farmall puller around for 30 years with a HD 1970's 1/2 ton IH PU pulling a bumper hitch trailer.

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should be ok. If you have FARM plates, you may have issues in WI. Farm plates hauling a tractor may smell like doing something with the expectation of recompense.

The key words are; Your truck, Your trailer, Your tractor. Tractor is going to be used for parades and hay rides for the grand kids.

Enjoy the new tractor and your brief stay in our extremely highly taxed and regulated state! Oh yeah, if you wear a Packer shirt, they may go easy on you.

eric wi
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

u will have no problems in wi if u have to have 4 chains 4 binders per tractor dot already poped me for that as long as u have farm plates u should have no problems dot numbers are not necessary for farm pick ups in wi yet unless u are over 26001 lbs. hope this helps u get though and pick it up with no problems

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

eric wi wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:35:42 12/15/07) u will have no problems in wi if u have to have 4 chains 4 binders per tractor dot already poped me for that as long as u have farm plates u should have no problems dot numbers are not necessary for farm pick ups in wi yet unless u are over 26001 lbs. hope this helps u get though and pick it up with no problems

Eric, Really?

I thought that WI followed the DOT regs on cargo securement. They plainly state that 4 chains/binders are only needed when the wheeled cargo is 10,000 pounds or more. Under 10,000, you only need 2 chains and binders.

I sure hope that's right as I haul under 10k tractor and only have 2 chains!!

Can you please post more details on that? (Thanks!)

Merry Christmas,
jb

Pat-CT
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that would be why all my tractor hauling is done wih a borrowed flat bed wrecker..its legal and cops dont really mess aroound with other emergency vechicles

cowtipper
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have experienced no problems with a four point tie down on a flat-bed trailer with tractors of the M size...heck I drove an H through the belt line in DC on a home-made trailer towed by a half-ton pickup...make sure the trailer is registered and just be careful

NE NEB FARMALL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 53 Super H I haul with my 92 K 1500 5.7 4x4 on the 18' H&H bumper pull trailer. Everything works well I run about 55-60 mph when hauling. I have 2 chains one front and one back with binders. The thing I had to do was to call the Neb DOT about weight. I had to add weight to my trailer plates to ensure I didnt have any problems. They let me add 9,000 lbs on the trailer plates for $10 extra. Had I had to add that much on my truck it would have cost $60. Also make sure you take a jack incase you need to move the rear tires in so the tractor can go between the fender wells. When I picked up my SH and loaded it on the trailer, it was so rear heavy any speed above 50mph and the trailer would start to sway side to side, not a fun feeling. Hove fun on your road trip!!

TPIA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: M in wisconsin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THANKS Fellows I reallly apreciate all replies and information .I'll post again when I get it home ,might not be for a while due to our weather and busy schedule Tom

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters