Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Dodge truck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam from WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hey yall. i've been workin on putting a Detroit Diesel 6-71TA (turbo, aftercooled) in a '95 Dodge Ram 3500 (one ton). i have the big detroit, 13 speed truck tranny, 2 speed rear truck axle, and i have changed the springs in the front to the springs from a GMC 2 ton truck all transplanted into the big dodge. it was a project, but a fun one, and a fun toy to drive places. yall should see how many heads i turn as i drive through town!

what i'm wondering is, has anyone done a similar thing as i have? we have a couple chevy pickups with cummins engines from dodge trucks and one with a detroit 4-53 and a 5 speed manual. they're all toys.

paulatclf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please post some pics so we can see these toys. Sounds really cool.

Texas Sand
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd like to see pics too! I'm gathering parts up to put a Cummins 4BT in a CJ7. Can't decide if I want to use the SM465 already on the engine or try and find a NV4500 for better road speed.

CCer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to www.stovebolt.com,, then click on forums,,then ckick on Big Bolts,, then click on '48 Detroit Diesel 6400. By Grigg. He has plenty of pics, I've seen the project up close, ultra-fine workmanship!

Sam from WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's really no difference between the cosmetics of our toys, just major mechanical differences. i will post pics, though. yall might like to see some of the toys

Sam from WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The black dodge is mine. detroit 6-71TA, eaton 13 speed tranny, air brakes, 2 speed rear axle

Sam from WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

work truck: 95 dodge ram 2500, detroit 4-53, 5 speed manual. its nowhere near as powerful or snappy as my 94 with the 6-71, however, mine takes forever to get movin due to the 13 speed.

brazier

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lets see some pics of the underbelly, AIRbrakes??
come on now?
Which axles did you put in it that still mate up to the dodge rim that have airbrakes?

George G
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't see what that has to do with this Dodge?? He is using a 4-cil. engine, hyd. brakes. 22.5 in. truck tires. This kid with the Dodge says, he has air brakes. Is that all around? or just on the back. The smallest air brake drums that I have seen, are 15in. dia.. Looks to me, that Dodge has 16"wheels on it. Seems to me that the axle housing carrier section would be kind of close to the ground.Link to the pictures.
Well, I gotta go. Pigs got out, they are flying all around the neighbors house again.

Sam from WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it took some creative machining, but the brakes are air brakes. we modified the original brake drums and disks so we could put the brake cans on. i have to have the air compressor for the tranny, so i figgered i"d figure out how to put air brakes in the thing too.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Sam
I sure would like like to hear that 4/53 run.I know they are screemers. lots of rpm's .
I have some guys in our antique pullers running 3/71. you would not believe how good they sound pullind a sled! More like a v/8 then a little old 3/71.
Guido.

Mark - IN.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sam, I know squat about a 6-71, 8-71, 6 or 8V Silver, except that they're huge and weighty. Out of curiosity, what's that do to your front end weight? Not that I'm thinking of any sort of change-ups, but I've got a '96 and an '02, both with Cummins and they're already front end heavy. Got plenty of pulling power, but get out into muddy or wet fields with empty beds, and its time to lock in the front ends because the front end weights become anchors while the light backends...don't motivate the anchors up front too well. I'd kind of have to think even bigger heavier engines gotta be much worse. Didn't like the Cummins?

Sam from WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dodge truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the original Cummins Diesel in the 94 was bad. It had a knock so bad you"d think somebody was hitting the thing with a sledge hammer. The front end is heavier than heck. I changed the front axle to a modified (shortened) axle from a two ton truck. The springs are from the same truck. Unless I want to get stuck, I don"t take it off road very much, excpet during the summer and hay season.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters