Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2006 ford f350 diesel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jd plowboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anyone looking to buy a ford dually. i have a 2006 f350 crew cab diesel 2wd with 126,000 highway miles that runs and drives perfect for sale. it is in excellent condition inside and out. it is a automatic and has a b&w flip over gooseneck hitch in the bed. it has a lot of options so if interested email and i will tell you all about it.i want $21700 for it. the book value on it is 23500 and 28000 retail. i am 40 miles south of columbia south carolina.

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I have a 1989 just like it that I am selling for $3,500. I love the truck, but it uses more gas than battleship. If you need the crewcab one ton dually, these are great trucks. Ford makes the best, but if you can get by with a 3/4 ton, you will use much less fuel.

Sam from WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do like i do, pull the engine and transplant a MUCH BETTER Detroit Diesel 6-71 or something. the detroits give ya as much if not more power for the fuel.

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Detroit 2 stroke will give far more power than the gas engine in there, now. Being a 2 stroke, though, they will also use more fuel. You should have seen the thread about 2 strokes having a power stroke everytime the piston travels downward, as opposed to every other downward travel as in the four stroke. So you know, the last that I knew, 2 stroke diesels were not legal for automotive engines in vehicles newer than 1985. I doubt that unless you have an annual inspection, anyone is going to check that in something as small as a one ton. I'm just putting that out there for you. I love the old Detriots, though. They have far more power than four strokes, not the twice as much as theory would suggest, but still much more power than the four stroke.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More power ? More noise maybe but power ? Seems like the trucks with them in struggle to get going. I drove a Mack and could just idle right back in a mud hole and dump the load. Those other guys had their Detroits screeming trying to do the same.

Me again

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A much better 6-71 are you crazy or just stupid. Seriously. There is a reason they don't make two stroke diesels any more. They are noisy, inefficient and if you have ever operated one you should know that trying to start it below 80 degrees without either is hazardous to your batteries and starter. Horsepower per gallon used the two stroke Detroit is about the most inefficient engine ever made. They come from the factory rated to leak/burn a gallon of oil every 10 hours. For the 6-71 the horsepower ratings are as follows
650 ft·lbf @ 1400 rpm 238 hp for supercharged only
801 ft·lbf @ 1400 rpm 275 hp for adding a turbo
810 ft·lbf @ 1200 rpm 290 hp for turbo/intercooler
now seriously why would he pull out the computer controlled, intercooled, variable geometry turbo, efficient 325hp and 6.0 even though it only has 570 ft·lbf of torque but can be mated to the already in the truck 5 speed auto. If you want more torque the 6.0 can be cranked up to 440hp and 880ft·lbf of torque with just a programmer and still be more reliable and better starting than any detroit ever made. Plus have you ever operated a truck with a detroit? Unless you are above about 1800-1900rpm you are not going anywhere which really sucks when you run out of speed at 2100 rpm. The "horrible" 6.0 will crank all the way to 4500rpm giving you a much much wider rpm range to work with so you are not constantly shifting. Plus with the 2100 rpm redline if it has 4.10 gears even with the overdrive you are never going to get much over 60mph. You could go faster with taller gears but then you are killing your pulling power and of course you wouldn't be able to get up to speed because you have to get that detroit spinning. Plus you would have to put something like a 10 speed behind it because the detroit doesn't have a wide enough power band to run with just a 4 or 5 speed. Some people I tell ya.

Sam from WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we have close to 5 trucks at work with Detroit Diesel 6-71s, 8V-71s, 8V-92s. they are about the most reliable trucks on the place. all have 15 speed trannies. Mostly Kenworth W900 gravel trucks, but one is a Peterbilt 379 with a 8V-92 and 18 speed tranny. we love em, better powe than our newer (1998) Peterbilt 378 with the big cummins.

ldj
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"A much better 6-71 are you crazy or just stupid"

Kinda rough words, ain't it?

T_Bone
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's apparent you haven't entered into too many discussions.

Atleast now we know why you try and hide your true identity on this website.

T_Bone

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Me Again
For your info Detroit Diesel Offered a 6/71TT engine with 230 H.P. and 853 Ft.Lb. of torque back in 1981. We had Detroit Diesels in our fleet since 1978, mixed in with Cummins, Caterpillars, Macks, I.H. They all the the job!
We got 300.000 miles between overhauls on average on our 6v92's. Fuel mileage was pretty much the same on all of them. Two Cycle engine could not meet the EPA standards that's why they were discontinued,power or longevity was not an issue.
Guido.

jd plowboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i want to sell the truck not tear it up. we have a 671 detroit in a gmc to pull antother trailer with and if you like going slow to 60 miles per hour then we will drive it. the ford has 5 speed automatic and 4.10 gears and it will get to 65-70 quick in the tow and haul mode. the 671 has a 10 speed behind it also and you have to keep it up to 1800 or so to get the power.

HeyPigFarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Question: What is the quickest way to turn diesel fuel into noise?

Answer: Put it in a Detroit. Hhahahahahahaha.

Now if you try to tell me Detroit's are quiet I'll know you are all a bunch of story tellers. By the way, if you think getting 300K out of a diesel is good, you need to run some other engines for a while. Not rushing to what's his names side, but I've run one of those things and that was enough. 1978 L9000 8V71 non-turbo 13sp. Gutless, noisy, leaky, hard starting thing... Idled in the field like a champ though.

Onto the truck, sounds nice, wish I could afford it, price doesn't sound too bad. Maybe try Flea-bay, there are always higher mileage trucks bringing high dollars on there. Good luck.

jamie ellington
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hope your not selling that truck to buy a new one and if so i have some guys that are telling me they are not getting but 8-9/miles per gallon EMPTY TRUCK NO trailer

jd plowboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no wanting to get a dodge like i should have got tostart with . this is my first ford and my last. not selling because of any problems but i know i just wont be happy with it because it is a ford. need to let a ford person have it and enjoy it.

Mark - IN.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 ford f350 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

T_Bone, not to change the subject, but don't you have a Cletrac? I could be wrong, and thought maybe you do or did, and maybe even posted pics of it over the years. I was gazing at some of the photos and ran across one here. The young fella was looking for help. By the posts, it hasn’t been there too long. And no, I aint got one, but sure wouldn’t mind, that’s for sure. This one looks to be in pretty good shape. Lucky fella, if you ask me. Thanks regardless just the same.
Cletrac over at tractor photos

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters