Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Welder extension cord

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobPa.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi. I have a Lincoln 175 mig welder. The manual says to use 8 ga. wire and a 40 amp breaker. I have 60 ft. of 8 ga wire to make an extension cord, but my wire is 3 wire (black,white,green)and my welder is 220V. Is it OK to use the black and white as hot, and the green as neutral? I"m guessing this would be OK because my plug only has three prongs. But I wanted to ask to be sure. Thank you.

mjbrown

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is the way mine is.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, its my best guess sittin here without the welder in front of me that its straight 240 volt i.e NO NEUTRAL NO 120 VAC USED....... If so and it has a 3 prong plug they would be two hots (240 VAC) and an Equipment Grounding Conductor usually Green or bare which is bonded to the welders metallic case/frame. That being said and assuming??? its correct, the wire you have could consist of a black n white hot and then green would be for the Equipment Ground (NOT Neutral as you stated) although the normal would be red n black as hots n green/bare for the EGC......

If the welder were only 120 volt then it would have a single black hot, a white Neutral, and a green EGC.

BUTTTTTTTT if it wires to a TWO POLE CIRCUIT BREAKER INSTEAD OF A SINGLE POLE,,,,,,,, That tells me its 240 volts and my best guess above is likely correct.........

John T long retired electrical engineer so a lil rusty

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

North America or Europe?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As johnT said... if it is 3 prong.. it will be hot/hot/grnd.. not neutral.

Soundguy

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I made a couple of extension cords like you're talking about, and the weakest part seems to be the attachment of the cable to the plug. The outlet end isn't so bad because you can put the outlet in a steel electrical box and use a steel clamp (wire loom, I think it's called) to hold the cable in place. The plugs I've seen, however, have built in clamps which are not sturdy enough to hold the cable as firmly as it should be held. Those plugs would be adequate where you plugged in the cord once and then left it there, as you would with a range or dryer. Mine have tended to work themselves loose when I use my extension cords as extension cords. Let me know if you work out a way to deal with this problem.

All the best, Stan

IH2444
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the lose plugs I use silicone goopy glue/caulk liberally around the cord when I clamp it in. Not perfect but better than without it.
I also usually put a few layers of heat shrink up the cord a few inches from the plug as a sort of strain distrubution thingy.

CWL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a better quality plug available for this application. It is a fairly high dollar item though. Last time I looked at one it was over $50, but it has a better strain relief clamp than the cheaper plugs. Most electrical wholesale places can fix you up with one.

NE IA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do some electrical work, mostly buildings / houses. Take this with a grain of salt, but I kind of think you must have a four wire if it is 240 acording to a electrician in my home town. I realize that sometimes it is simpler to ignore the actual code in certian cases.

We have a heavy cord for temporary service 250 ft long that will handle 100 amps plus. I can tell you this, nothing helps maintain a cord any better than a good head on your shoulders and a constant eye for abuse. Rubber cords do not stretch, they are not intended to pull foreign objects when they get tangled on them. They are not designed to support tractor, skid loader, or buldozer traffic. Knots do not undo themselves, get over the thought that they will after if ignored.

Bus Driver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if the cable you have is Type NM or SE, it is not suitable for use as an extension cord.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the appliance has BOTH 120 AND 240 and requires an equipment ground THEN YES IT REQUIRES 4 WIRES AS YOU SUSPECTED (2 Hots, 1 Neutral (a grounded conductor), 1 Equipment Ground)

HOWEVER if THE APPLIANCE (LIKE SAY A 240 VOLT ONLY WELDER) is straight 240 volt with NO 120, a Neutral IS NOT REQUIRED... In that case 3 wires will suffice and be in full compliance with the NEC, 2 Hots and 1 Equipment Grounding Conductor.......

Hope this helps, yall take care n be safe now

John T

IH2444
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a comment or 2 here. I have a welder with 3 prong 220v connector it does use 120V for the fan inside.
My electric range is the same way for the clock in it.
I wire the third prong to neutral. In these types of cases. Yes 4 wire is the code now, but if your home/shop is not wired for the 4 wire 220v outlets....

BobPa.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. Yes, the welder is 240 volt, not a 120volt machine. It takes a double pole breaker rated at 40 amps. The unit does have a fan in it. Only other thing I wired 240 volt was a couple of clothes dryers and they had a seperate appliance ground (4 wire).

Bus Driver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Lincoln welder has a 240 volt fan. I suspect that is the case very often.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder extension cord Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the welding shop at the local community college, the students so consistently step on the extension cords and pneumatic hoses that I once asked the department head if they had been told that they were supposed to do that. (They hadn't been).

I used to think that young people would feel differently about the equipment they abused if they had to spend their own money on it. I no longer believe that's the case. I think people who are inclined to take care of equipment will take care of it regardless of who it belongs to, and those who abuse equipment without giving it a thought will abuse their own equipment the same way. I suspect that part of it comes from being raised in a commercially oriented culture where everything is disposable. If they even thought about it they would probably think something like, "Why not grind the extension cords into the concrete instead of stepping over them? We'll have to buy new ones sometime anyway." But I don't think they actually ever give it a thought.

I thought that rant would make me feel better, but it didn't.

All the best, Stan

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters