Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

DeWalt drills

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is anyone else having problems with DeWalt cordless drills? Here at work I've had two 18 volt drills that the trigger has gone bad on. Neither one of them is really old or beat up. One is a drill/driver/hammer drill and the other is just a drill/driver. The drill driver trigger is sticking in the on position sometimes and they both will not always run when the trigger is pulled. Took some contact cleaner and tried to clean any gunk out then blew them out with compressed air. No luck. Then this morning I took a brand new 18 volt battery, put it in an 18 volt drill. Ran the drill for a couple of seconds with no load. When I set the drill down on the counter I noticed smoke rolling out from the bottom of the battery pack. It was put on the charger yesterday and had never been used. One of the ladies here said the same thing happend with here cordless DeWalt screwdriver yesterday. I don't want to start a "brand war" here. I just want to know if anyone else is having problems with DeWalt cordless tools. We have a whole lot of them in the plant so changing brands is not an option unless it was done on a one at a time replacement basis.

Billy NY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was using a dewalt cordless 18V yesterday, did some work at a friends apartment building, he left the set out in case I needed it, as my set of another brand is on the way out. It was smoking, functioned properly, strong, seems like something was over lubed or lube was getting out from somewhere, smoke did became less, just that electric smell. Not sure when this set was bought, but sounds similar to what you describe, smoke was coming from the motor though.

TxFarmallFan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont want to contribute to the "brand war" myself, but I had a 9.6 Dewalt and had nothing but trouble with it. Switched to Makita and havent had a lick of trouble.

Brian in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a DeWalt 18v drill driver and haven"t had any trouble with it. I"ve had it for about 3 years I don"t baby it but don"t abuse it either. For me it has been very reliable. Mine came in a set with a cric saw, swazall, grinder, and flash light.

Almost forgot mine is the XRP model.

Steve in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had Dewalt cordless tools for about 12 years now. Started with the 14.4 volt drill, circular saw, and flashlight. Moved up to the 18 volt drill, sawzall, circular saw, 4 1/2" grinder, and flashlight about 3 years ago. I've been happy with them all except for the 18 volt XRP batteries. I must have a half dozen of them in a pile. Won't take charge anymore. This is on a dairy farm with sometimes occasional to sometimes almost daily use. Depends on the season. And yes I do occasionally charge the batteries overnight. Don't know, do you suppose storing them in a cold central MN shop would be hard on em? Steve

CWL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The DeWalt website actually advises leaving the batteries on the charger all the time. I found that this morning while looking for a possible recall or battery problem.

bobia

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 12 volt 3/8 drill and only trouble I have had is clutch. dropping them is not good. have one in shop now. don,t want to change voltages as have 4 batt. I have a place that rebuilds them for 27 dollars. no real test as to length of time but have used them about every day and many charges.

RichZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About 8 years ago, I got a new DeWalt 18 volt cordless drill. After about a month, the chuck fell apart. I had to send it back to DeWalt to get it repaired, it was on warranty, but I had to pay the postage. The chuck fell apart 2 more times, before I finally chucked the whole drill. My friend who's a contractor had the same thing happen to 2 other DeWalt 18 volt cordless. I now have an 18 volt Hitachi cordless, which I'm very happy with.

Gary from Muleshoe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using DeWalt drills at work for the past 8 years and have never had any problems with any of them.My personal one is about three years old and works like a new one. I have heard of others complain about them but I guess mine is an exception.

markiz41
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: it's official Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dewalt is recalling some of the latter model drills for a potential fire hazard in the trigger switch

gearhead gary ,TX.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: DeWalt drills Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't spray contact cleaner in a Vspd. switch. Contact cleaners are for contacts. The electronics inside don't respond very well and the plastic will sometimes melt depending on the brand of the cleaner. As far as blowing out with air, some(most)compressed air systems have condensate(water)build-up in the tank and lines and the water will short-out electrical circuits as well. Suggest you take it to an "authorized service center". They(ASC) have all the current service bulletins.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters