Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

plowed up sweet corn plot

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally got around to plow up the small plot I intend to plant sweet corn in. I sprayed the grass a week ago with round up to kill grass, but been so cool it is taking forever to kill it. Hope to plant by Memorial weekend. Used my 3910 with a Ford 101 2 botm 14" and disced with a Ford 202 6.5' disc. That is wonderful North Branch sand. This is my first time to plow this big of an area.

leeb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I keep forgeting how late ya'll plant up north, we'll be eating fresh sweet corn on Memorial Day.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That grass almost doesn't look tall enough for Roundup to work well on it - especially in springtime when nutrients are going the wrong direction. I think our weather here in New York is a week or so ahead of your's - and I just got done plowing. I sprayed two weeks ago when the grass was 6"-8" and know I could of waited a little longer. But - I was afraid of the normal wet weather coming for a month and then not being able to do anything. I planted one patch of untreated sweet corn late yesterday and now it's getting so cold and wet - it might just rot. We'll see.

I've been watching temps in Northern MI - lower peninsula just below the Mac bridge where I have farm land (Presque Isle Co). I know there - it's at least a week behind us here - and I suppose the UP is worse. What part of MI are you in?
I'm envious of the soil in the photo and can't hardly imagine what it's like to plow - as compared to here where it's half rocks and muck.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice work. I can hear the racoons lining up in the woods.

M Moline Fan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

10-4 on the racoons-- and deer! If they leave you alone what will you do with THAT much sweet corn? Farmer's market? You'll have a BUNCH-- or not. I did that once a few years back, a 1 acre garden. Was fun growing stuff, but a lot of it went to waste. BTW, it was by a woods too and surprisingly the varmits didn't find it.

shawnspeed3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you wern't in lapeer grain saturday morning between 9-10 wiyh yer little ones, looking at sweet corn and a qt. of roundup by any chance???

Spook
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice job on the plowing.

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice job plowing!! Darn cooons & deer usually get all of mine, don't know how they know right to the day when it's ready.
Paul

Matt in the Thumb

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like ya need a bigger plow! I pull a 2x14 with a much smaller and less powerful old 2N. I bet that 3910 just idles right along.

Brian in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, that wasn't me. I had to have surgery on my ankle Friday morning, so I was incapasitated all weekend. I hope to get there this weekend, My dad usually goes to UAP by Imlay City I may try there also.

I hear ya about the Raccoons, I may try an eletric fence and a .22 mag to keep them at bay.

Brian in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ya that 3910 didn't even break a sweat. I hope to trade up to a 3 X 14 Ford 101 by next spring.

Brian in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it all works out ok my wife and I may go to the Farmers Market, but probabally will do a road side stand with other items from the garden.

Brian in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'am in Lapeer Co. Right inbetween Pt. Huron and Flint, and about 12 miles north of I-69

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, you're "down south" as compared the farm-land I have just below the Mac bridge. Must be even colder there - I guess (haven't been there yet this spring).

shawnspeed3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: plowed up sweet corn plot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

let me save you a trip to lapeer...they only have a 10 lb bag of one variety left, ambrosia I do belive, and won't be ordering any more till next year according to the gentleman behind the counter.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters