Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

D14 starter Nose Cone Cracked.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joel heaton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: D14 starter Nose Cone Cracked. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a D14 and the nose cone is cracked off. Has anyone had any experience with welding theirs? I have heard of guys doing this. Thanks Joel

Texas Denny
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: D14 starter Nose Cone Cracked. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sure haven't tried this. If it is cracked, I am assuming that it is cast iron. If it is cast iron and you want to try it, I have had some success welding cast iron in this way. First, I put the pieces back together and clamp it securely so that it looks unbroken. The I use a grinder to grind the cracks that there is about an 1/8" groove with the crack in the middle. I would do this on front and back if you can get to it. The get a bottle of MAPP gas at the hardware store and heat the part up (may want to have the nose by itself for this - no electrical parts). Heat it as hot as you can get it - may take 5 minutes. Your clamps can't include a large vise as this will pull the heat away from the part and result in a weak weld. Small C-clamps are best. If you can lay it on a couple of knife edges, this will reduce heat loss. When it is hot, start filling the groove with flux core welding wire from a MIG welder. If the part gets cool, heat it again. The clamping must be secure during the welding. When you are finished, grind the surface smooth so it can go back in the bell housing and then reassemble. You haven't much to loose - the nose is scrap right now.

Edpap
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: D14 starter Nose Cone Cracked. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My D14 has been running for three years with a welded nose cone. I just beveled the edges Tacked it together, heated with a torch just enough to burn the oil off it and welded it up with 308 stainless rod.
Good Luck Ed
abcrepairparts

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters