Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

WD45 - PTO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEITH SCHRAMM
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: WD45 - PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need help. I have a 1953 Allis. While Bush hogging I hit a rock in the field and my PTO quit. I tried to engage it again to no prevail. The only thing Ive done so far is check the out likage. Any ideas?

Thanks

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WD45 - PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You probably broke the shear bolt. The WD PTOs have a shear bolt in the PTO drive to sort of save parts
Hobby farm

ohio
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WD45 - PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You hope you broke the shear bolt. More than likely it is an internal injury, but usually oil & shapnel would come out.

Very loose slipper clutches are the only way to B.H. with a wc-wd-wd45.

Brad W Wi

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: WD45 - PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been there, done that. In my case it wasn't the shear bolt.It stripped the gears in the pto. Had to replace all the gears. not a huge job, just a pain in th a$$.

KEITH SCHRAMM
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: WD45 - PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for the help. So from what you all are saying, I need to remove the PTO unit and any damage would be in the PTO unit itself, not up inside the tractor.

Thanks again

Rock_Picker(MO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: WD45 - PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you get the unit repaired, I recommend using a grade 2 bolt for the PTO shaft shear pin. It will sometimes be an aggravation because of nuisance shears, but in the long run it will most likely preserve your PTO unit. A half dozen bolts can be purchased at your local farm store for a few dollars. A few years ago I ran across a roll of old fence wire while bush hogging. The cutter has a slip clutch but it did not slip.......stripped the gears off the PTO unit.....luckily it was the external unit........good luck..........RP

Tim in NY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WD45 - PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IF the shear bolt on the pto shaft isn"t sheared, then take the pto gearbox off and inspect the gears. Also check the pto intermediate gear which is inside the tractors torque tube. If that gear has been damaged, then check the pto drive gear by pulling the hand clutch cover (under battery box).I have the gears if you need them.

KEITH SCHRAMM
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: WD45 - PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just my luck. I pulled the PTO housing and thats all fine. I pulled the inspection cover under the battery box and see that the PTO drive gear on the Torque Tube has all the teeth missing. What kind of job am I looking at. spliting the housing apart or can I fix this from the inspection cover were the torque tube and transmision cluch are. Thanks

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters