Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

PTO hydraulic lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cody Alcott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a AC model B 1939, crankstart. This was my grandfather's tractor that I have rebuilt (95% done). The PTO has a belt drive on the side. I would like to use this tractor with a 3-point mower. Can I convert this tractor to have a hydraulic lift and after-market 3-point conversion or do I need to use a tow-behind mower only?

Texas Denny
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cody, the belt pulley should be on the left when you are looking at the back of the tractor. There should be a PTO in the center. On the right side of the PTO would be the hydraulic controls. The hydraulic pump actually is inside the axle case. So, I can't figure out from your note what you have. Is there a belt shiv on the PTO shaft? Or is the PTO missing? Are the hydraulics on the right side?

Yes, you could modify this tractor for a three point shredder. It is light in the front end so unless the design is clever of the three point and the shredder light, you may have to use a maximum size shredder of 4 foot. I've designed and built two of these for the model C Allis (also for D-14, D-17, WD, WD-45, John Deere MT, John Deere A, etc.). It is not hard to do. Commercially built units are available if you have the PTO and hydraulics (perhaps even from this site).

Cody Alcott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. The left side has a shaft that I think was for the belt pully and there is nothing on the right side. The PTO shaft does come out the rear of the unit. Can I add a hydraulic unit?

Texas Denny
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I see those hydraulic units on Ebay from time to time - at least a few times a month. You'd need the hydraulic system which is a single assembly - contains both the pump and controls. You would also need a cylinder or two depending on the weight of the shredder. You could buy a couple of the Allis cylinders - also through Ebay. Or you could buy one or two after market and make them part of the three point hitch assembly. The advantage to Allis cylinders is the pins to mount the fixed end are already on the tractor and the cylinders match the pins.

There should be a plate on the right side of the differential behind the rear axle. The hydraulic assembly mounts where that plate is. It is my understanding that they were all set up at the factory for this hydraulic system but the hydraulics were an option - confirmed by my reference book.

chalmersbob

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the early model B didn't have a plate to remove to mount the pump. I don't know about the cam shaft. I have a pto unit on my 39 that will not take a pump. Bob

Texas Denny
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, my reference book says it was an option since 1937. I guess the book by Terry Dean is wrong if you have a casting with no opening. The cam may be missing as well, as you point out.

If the plate is there, hydraulics can be added. If it isn't there, there is no easy way short of a new rear end. Or an auxiliary pump could be added - also not easy.

Cody Alcott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the pto unit has a plate but I do not see any bolts on the outside for removal. It looks more like a large freeze plug. If this is still compatable with a hydraulic pump, where can I find a pump? Thanks, Cody

Cody Alcott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the pto unit has a plate but I do not see any bolts on the outside for removal. It looks more like a large freeze plug. If this is still compatable with a hydraulic pump, where can I find a pump? Thanks, Cody

Texas Denny
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The plate has to be on the differential housing on the right side toward the wheel and behind the axle. ChalmersBob may be right and you aren't set up for it if that plate isn't there.

Cody Alcott
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

chalmersbob

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO hydraulic lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can purchase another pto unit with the pump or at least a removable plate on it from a junk yard. I bought one for my 40 B with pump and cylinder for $120.00.
It is removable from the rear housing. Just make sure you get the pto gasket from agco because it has a dam at he bottom to store fluid for the pump when the tractor goes down hill
Bob

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters