Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1952 8N lift arms stuck upwards.
hydraulic pump has been removed.
lift cover has been removed .
My lift shaft arms are really stiff and do not move once I disconnected ramrod cylinder on the removed lift cover.
Should these move freely by hand or do they require more pressure?
How can I tell what is causing this to happen as the hydraulics were always getting stuck in the upward position.
Originally after I inspectyed the pump I noticed theIntake control valve was totally jammed and stuck so I freed it and now want to fix the problem in the lift.
Please Help!
Thank you

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rock shaft and lift arms should rotate easily by gravity alone. If your control valve was stuck it is likely that the piston has forced the ram arm beyond normal operating range. It should be visually apparent if this has happened.

You may need to remove the rock shaft and ram arm to repair it. Inspect/replace the bushings while you have it apart. Inspect the ram arm also as these sometimes crack if forced beyond normal operating range. It is also possible for the connecting rod to break through the end of the piston so you will need to inspect the piston as well.

Dean

yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was able to force the lift shaft arms down on the removed lift cover.
I pulled out the ram cylinder and pushed the piston down to see if it was jammed and it was not so I am assuming the ram cylinder is okay and that the fact the Intake Control Valve was stuck was why my cylinder was pushed so far out.
Does this make sense>
Open valve = ram cylinder pushing all the way up?
leaving me with hydraulics stuck upward all the time?
I could force them down with the bucket on my bobcat but then they just went right back up as soon as I tried to use them again.
Am I good to go and put it all back together?
I am going to clean oput my valves but other then that everything seems good?
Anyone have any tips before I start this?

yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Dean!
great tips!
My ram arm looks good and piston and cylinder seem ok.
My guess is like you said if the valve was open the ram cylinder would go to high forcing the lift upward.
I think I will put it back together and try it out.
At least I now know how to pull it apart If I have to again.....

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go ahead and replace the cylinder piston and install the newer better NAA type. They seem to work a lot better and don't cost all that much. I just did that to one of my 8Ns, a 1951 model

yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HiDean!
Actually the rock shaft is not moving easily after i put it back on, no ram cylinder as I was just seeing how they moved up and down on their own and they were stiff.
I had to stand on them to push them down and use a jack all to lift them so I will now disassemble.
This should be fun!!!

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Removing the rock shaft

The lift cover bushings come out with the rock shaft keep this in mind,,, the center of the rock shaft were it fits into the rocker is bigger than the rock shaft bushings so when you press the rock shaft out the bushing comes with the rock shaft

I completely remove all the lift linkage,,, set the lift cover up in a press with the right side of the lift cover down,,, the right side is the side the lift lever is on,,, the cover has a nice machined flat,,, I use a piece of pipe thats big enuff that that lift cover bush'n will go threw,,, the lift cover bush'n I.D. is 2 3/8" O.D. my pipe is 3" I.D X 4" long (its a old motor housing from a Mini Kota trolling motor) Press the rock shaft threw the pipe,,, some go EZ some rite hard,,, once the lift cover bush'n and the rock shaft clear the rocker the shaft will fall out,,, the other bush'n can then BE easily taped out,,, when you go back press the rock shaft threw the rocker then install the bushings,,, you will have to fudge with the rock shaft to git it centered in the rocker,,, its not that bad to do,,, I do it by myself but would b nice to have a help'n hand for this job,,, were most fudge up is they try and press the rock shaft out and don't know the lift cover bush'n comes out with the rock shaft,,, end up with a busted cover
[img]
[/img]

yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your post with pics.
Very helpful.
Should the rock shaft be easily moved by hand in the lift housing?
Mine is so stiff as you probably saw in my post I had to step on it for it to actually go down and jack it up to move it up.
this is with no cylinder or fluid either.
I am wondering how the rock shaft should move in the lift housing.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yellow52N wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:38:18 08/19/0Cool Thank you so much for your post with pics.
Very helpful.
Should the rock shaft be easily moved by hand in the lift housing?
Mine is so stiff as you probably saw in my post I had to step on it for it to actually go down and jack it up to move it up.
this is with no cylinder or fluid either.
I am wondering how the rock shaft should move in the lift housing.

Should move EZ,,, never seen one stuck,,, don't figger less something is really bent bad,,, 'bout all I can think of is the draft linkage bent and jammed it up,,, a pix of the underside would help,,, or remove the linkage then see if the rock shaft is still stuck

yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried to post a pic but I don't know if it worked.
The linkage did not look bent but today I will just disassmeble and find out for sure.
Thanks for your help!
much appreciated!

yellow52N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.
I will consider....
appreciate it.
have a good day!!

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 8N Ramrod cylinder sticking. Lift arms won't go down. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All looks goon in the pix, let us know what you find

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters