Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland Jackson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have racked my brain trying to think of a way to clean terminal connector ends. They are corroded to the point of being green. Anyone have any ideas?

Roland

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roland Jackson wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:13:37 09/28/08) I have racked my brain trying to think of a way to clean terminal connector ends. They are corroded to the point of being green. Anyone have any ideas?

Roland

Wife makes copper bottom pans look like a new penny using a mixture of something acidic (such as lemon juice or vinegar) and salt. Be sure to rinse very well when finished.

rlpintx

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CNC makes a good cleaner for connectors or pencil erasers also work good if you can get at the connectors well enough.

Ken Crisman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rolland , wire brush or steel wool ? Or if they're that bad , I'd cut out the bad areas & replace them . That's why I always advise people to use a dielectic grease on each & every connection & contact point . Having been an electrician for years I ran into situations like you have now . Dielectric grease .Hth ! God bless, Ken

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roland.......you can gitt stainless wire-toothbrushes to mechanically "abraid" the corroded connector. Then flush with CRC electrical spray or CRC brake spray. (both non-corrosive and non-deposit) Then protect yer nice and new terminals with non-corrosive silicon greese, like DC-4. They also use the same sorta stuff for hi-amp electrical stubs for electric stove wiring. go shopping.

Iff'n yer talking battery terminals, flush with baking soda water and use battery terminal spray. go shopping .......Dell

R.G.M.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a trailer I use once a year the plug does not make a good contact.I can not get a wire brush in there what to do?

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a suggestion, but it is probably too long winded for you. :)

Larry 8N75381
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To get the right kind of grease, go to anyplace where they sell aluminum entrance cable. They should have the grease REQUIRED by the electrical code to be used on ALL aluminum wire going into a clamp, like on the buss bars in the panel. This grease is conductive, which is what you need.

As a point for clarification, in electronics, a dielectric is on insulator, that is it will NOT conduct current. Both dielectric and conductive greases are used depending upon application. Most often you will see a grease being used between a heat sink and a high power semiconductor/computer chip/etc. to promote heat transfer since since grease will displace the air, a poor heat conductor, between the sink and semiconductor. IF the grease is conductive, then the sink must be insulated, often not practical plus it could mean that the sink has high voltage on it and possibly dangerous. Thus you are more apt to run into dielectric grease in electronics than house wiring.

I keep contacts for both the plug and receptacle for my trailer coated with the aluminum corrosion prevention paste. I also put a wad of plastic bag in the receptacle to fill up the space and keep dirt and moisture out.

Upper Peninsula, Mi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a brush on the male parts and a drill bit on the female parts. Works good. I suppose a dremel with the appropriate little wire wheel and bit would also work well. Ron

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RGM.......I use a 22-cal gun cleaning brush for them itty-bitty trailer plugs. Simple, eh?.....Dell

david bross

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I picked up some electrical contact cleaner and electrical grease at the local auto parts store. I went through the harley and tractor a couple of years ago on every connection including the bulb sockets. I found 3 on the bike that could have left me stranded. Clean any corroded terminals with wire brush as suggested, clean with contact cleaner, apply electrical grease.

Good luck

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once ya get it clean.. dab it with vasolene or grease...

soundguy

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I use to clean electrical connectors? Dell? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

david bross wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:56:09 09/29/08) I picked up some electrical contact cleaner and electrical grease at the local auto parts store. I went through the harley and tractor a couple of years ago on every connection including the bulb sockets. I found 3 on the bike that could have left me stranded. Clean any corroded terminals with wire brush as suggested, clean with contact cleaner, apply electrical grease.

Good luck

just sent ya a pix of a real Hog, n'joy

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters