Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wisconsin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just purchased this tractor and the problem is when it runs for a couple minutes it pushes the coolant out of the radiator cap.The previus owner took the heads to a machine shop and they cecked out good. He reinstalled them with all new gaskets but it still did it.So he bought another gasket kit and had a friend (Who worked on tractors)reinstall the heads but it still does it. He also but in a new thermastat and radiator cap trying to solve the problem. So when I got my hands on it I took the thermastat out. So far I've ran about a half a tank of fuel threw it with no problems!
Does the tractor need the thermastat? I read on another post that this could cause the heads to crack. Is there any truth to that or should I just forget about the stat? I boil the stat on the stove it opened just fine was told that maybe it was in backwards (wish I would of paid attention to that when I took it out) and that caused the problem.Any answers would be very helpful THANKS

Lamont
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the very same problem with a 730 I bought and the thermostat being backwards was the problem. My brother just happened to be standing there when I took it out, and he noticed it. I wasn't paying attention to the direction. I was just going to boil it in water like you did. I'd reinstall it correctly if I were you.

Graham from New Zealand (
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was told many years ago on good authority that 830s crack heads if run wothout thermostat.
Blocked radiator can cause coolant to blow out as it has nowhere else to go as it is pumped out of the engine. Blocked bottom radiator hose (perhaps delaminated on the inside) can have the same result

Nick@KY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 400 pushed coolant out the overflow tube the other day while idling,so after looking in my service manual it stated the thermostat should have a 1/16" hole drilled in it to prevent this.mine did not have the hole,so I put one in it and have'nt had any trouble.My manual also says not to run it without a thermostat as engine damage can result.Nick

DJM75
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did the check the sleeve lands and projection other wise the fire rings won"t seal and it is putting combustion into your coolant I been down this road.

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always run my diesels with thermostats so they warm up properly. CASE power cell heads crack from not letting them cool down evenly after putting it under a load. If you do not have a by-pass built in to the water pump you should drill a hole in the thermostat, learned that lesson on my MM ZAU. Fill the radiator up, put the thermostat back in, or get a new one from CASE, and run it without the radiator cap on and see what happens. Stand on the front end and see if you have a lot of bubbling and when the thermostat opens, you should see the water move around. Some water will come out until it finds it's hot level point.

Ed pap
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Djm you are getting compression under the linner. when the thermo is installed the air pressure builds up and opens the thermo and the air bubble pushes out the coolant. when the thermo is out the air leaks out slow. you should see some type of mark or black on the fire ring of the old gasket if compression was leaking by. if the gasket is good then you could have a pin hole in a linner. I have .005 and .010 shims for the linner. I don't have the spec in front of me but most should have atleast .002 linner protrusion if not more.
I would run that tractor with a thermo for sure.
good luck Ed
abcrepairparts

mmidlam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can run it a few second with the water manifold off with water to the top of the manifold head ports to see which cylinder has the leak. Bubbles will come out of the leaking head port.

WISCONSIN

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 case 830 diesel coolant problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will looking in the head ports for bubbles tell me if the sleeve is leaking compreesion or is that just for checking the heads and head gasket?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters