Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

case 411 backfire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drewbee90

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my case 411 will not start due do the engine backfiring. every time I try to start it, the engine coughs and turns the flywheel the wrong way and it grinds at the starter. iv already broken the starter several times due to this problem. Is there a way to correct this problem and how?

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like your distibutor is 180 degrees out of time and you might be firing on the exhaust stroke. If not that far out your distributor is severely out of adjustment causing it to fire at the wrong time in the compression cycle.

Jim

Drewbee90

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a simple way to adjust the distributor to the correct timing?

Howard H.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did it start backfiring gradually over time?? Or all of a sudden??

A worn, tight, or chipped valve internally in the engine can cause that... But a worn or tight valve usually will start that more gradually...

Or a cracked or wet distributor cap or plug wires out of order can cause that also.

Or as Jim said, being out of time...

Howard

Drewbee90

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it has done that over time. at first it was running rough and then it started backfiring alot while trying to start it.

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I put my breaker point plate back in after switching to a Pertronics module I got my distributor way out of whack. What I did was pull No. 1 plug, plug the hole with finger and bumped the starter slowly until I got a pressure blow. Then removed the bell housing cover plate just behind the pan so I could reach in with a pry bar and move the flywheel by hand with the bar, take extereme care not to damage the ring gear. I looked in the bell housing inspection hole so I could see the tining marks on the fly wheel. Moved the fly wheel until the correct marks lined up with the pointer. You will have to know what the timing is for your engine (TDC, X degress BTDC, etc.). Pull the dist. cap off. The points will probably be closed at this point. Now using a simple light bulb type electric current tester. Hook the aligator clip to one side of the points and put the test pointer on the other side and the bulb should light up. Rotate the distributor until the light goes out which indicates the points just broke contact. This should get you in the ball park and get the engine running. Don't forget to tighten the clamp down to keep vibration from turning the distributor. The tractor should start and run.

Jim

Drewbee90

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Im thinkin that this is the solution to the problem. ill just have to wait and see

billy jo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might want to check compression. I have had push rods jump out and cause backfire.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a careful look at your cap to make sure there's no tiny cracks. If this looks ok I would pull No1 sparkplug and bring that piston to TDC on the compression stroke. When your're at TDC both valves should be closed and your timing marks should be aligned. Also your rotor should be pointing to your No1 plug tower. If it's off, something has jumped timing. Hal

Drewbee90

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: case 411 backfire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the backfiring stopped. the engine sputters a few times but it wont turn over. i put some fresh gas in but that didnt do much either. what do you think i should do now?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters