Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

400 Diesel - water out the exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Gardner
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: 400 Diesel - water out the exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 400 Diesel that when you first start it, after it has sat for an hour or two it will blow a little water out of the exhaust for a second, it does not seem to do it after it is running. I have to tear it apart but was wondering if the head is cracked or if it would be just a gasket.
Ben

olgentdc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 400 Diesel - water out the exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

head gasket , If You are lucky , you might try a block sealer or bars leak . is oil milky ???...,if you can pull injectors and do a individual compression test ,that knowledge will be helpful ,.... stitch in time will save nine... get the antifreeze out of that motor and replace with water only ..

Ken Gardner
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: 400 Diesel - water out the exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks I will try the block sealer,there's no water in the oil, and it almost seems like once the tractor is running the compression stops the leaking because you don't smell burning antifreeze and there is no white smoke or steam coming out of the exhaust and there are no bubbles in the rad.

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 400 Diesel - water out the exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken, just a little water, clear water, blowing out especially on a cold morning is normal for any engine internal combustion engine. Ever notice how your pick up or car will drip a bit of moisture out of the tail pipe on a cold morning. The exhaust gas contains the same humidity that the intake air contains as the water does not burn in the cylinders.

When this warm moist air hits the cold muffler you get a slight bit of condensation, not much and it will be clean water, no antifreeze smell or looks. Sounds like what you may be experiencing here, but check the other things also. I would trust Jim H's experience he's been running 'em for a good while.

Just hope its condensation moisture since it is first thing after startup and goes away when the muffler gets hot. Do you notice this worse on cold mornings or is it all the time regardless of ambient temp? Down on the sunny TX coast and else where it only happens to us on cool and cold mornings. When the air temp. is warm, 80-90, the condensation doesn't happen as the muffler is already above the dew point temperature.

Jim G.

scott mcintosh
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 400 Diesel - water out the exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be cracked flange on sleeve.Scott

haroldWa.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 400 Diesel - water out the exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fill it completely full of coolant take off the radiator cap and start the engine blown head gasket sleeve seal or cracked head you should see alot of bubbles in radiator

Ken Gardner
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 400 Diesel - water out the exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I filled the rad with water and watched the compression or bubbles and water pour out after i started it, oh well i guess i will have to get it in my garage next week and pull the heads off, while im going that far im thinking about bearings and rings, maybe sleeves and pistons, i will let you guys know how its going after i get the heads off.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters