Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Solidox welding tablets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowpoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Solidox welding kit that uses oxygen tablets and propane for small welding & cutting jobs. The tablets are ignited and place in a closed metal tube. The generated oxygen goes thru a rubber tube and connects to a Y with the propane gas tube. The mix is combined and sent to the torch.
I tried to find the oxygen tablets on Ebay with no luck. Are they still sold or are they obsolete?
Has anyone come up with a way to use the outfit if the tablets are no longer made?

willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Slowpoke
Had one about 30years ago. Used it once & threw it in the trash.
1- no way to control the O2 flow, light it once, let it burn up.
2- smoke from the tab plugged the filter, blew the stopper out.
For medium sized projects i now have a Bernz setup that uses propane or mapp, with O2 tanks. The tanks are a bit expensive, but ok for small occasional jobs.
For big jobs, I take it to the local pro, give him 10 bucks. Lots cheaper than a big oxy-acc setup for my occasional use.
Willie

KF
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one of those also that I bought many years ago. They offered it that way for awhile and then brought out the small oxygen tanks and its own valve on the later versions. I just converted mine to the oxygen bottle version. They are good for small brazing jobs, not much else.

lha
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen those,but never had one.Have seen them working though.Went to a flea mkt outside of Dallas,and got an old cutting torch with small bottles,when I refilled them,they[wanting to sell more]said they didn't have any small bottles,but for a little more,I could have large bottles[ox.about4' atc3']so I jumped on it still have the set after 30yrs.Hardly ever use it.---lha

lha
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen those,but never had one.Have seen them working though.Went to a flea mkt outside of Dallas,and got an old cutting torch with small bottles,when I refilled them,they[wanting to sell more]said they didn't have any small bottles,but for a little more,I could have large bottles[ox.about4' atc3']so I jumped on it still have the set after 30yrs.Hardly ever use it.---lha

135 Fan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would be OK for brazing or cutting only. For welding you have to use acetylene with a neutral flame. Dave

Slowpoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Minimum welding charge in my area is $25/15 minutes. Two years ago I paid $106 to have a 4" wide saddle welded to a 4" post with a 1/4" spacer between the two. It was considered sales taxable as a manufactured product because they assembled the pieces.

Slowpoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried finding the Solidox tabs on the net, and found a page that tells how to steal credit card #s, pick locks, make explosives, etc. There was a referrence to Kmart and Ace hardware that sold Solidox in 1"x4" sticks. The information appears to be from the '60s as carbon copies found in the trash were mentioned as a way to get credit card numbers.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can buy a used Lincoln 225 welder for 100 bucks.I have been welding here since 1966, very little call from people for welding jobs.

Slowpoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was only interested in the Solidox to try and burn out a broken Easyout. It's in a 3/16 drilled hole and broken off about 3/16 below the surface of the block of an old but expensive Kohler engine. All due to a broken 3/8 headbolt.
Maybe a wire welder could get in there to fill the hole and ad a nut at the top.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

good luck on welding anything to the tap...

also.. oxy-propane wouldn't be my choice to burn the flute out.. o/a with a piercing tip maybee.. and with that small a hole.. no wonder it broke.. a 3/16 flute on a 3/8 bolt?

soundguy

trucker 40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Solidox welding tablets Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is kind of a bad deal to have an easy out broke off like that.I had one of those solidox torches a long time ago and I dont think it would melt that easy out very good.A MIG might work.If you can build it up out of the hole then you can put a washer on it and weld that to the bolt,then weld a nut to the washer maybe.Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesnt.

In order for an Easy Out to work,and that would mean a good Easy Out like made in USA,You would need to drill as big of a hole right in the center as possible of the broke off bolt.So a 5/16 or bigger bit if possible.Maybe the thing to do is try and drill a bigger hole,then get a bigger easy out,and try that way first.It just might also make it possible to get the broke off piece out easier too.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters