Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What alternator?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim in NC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: What alternator? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need alternator suggestions for changing a C from a 6 to 12 volt system. The steering arm produces a space problem. I am growing weary of having generator and charging problems with my tractor's 6 volt system. Thanks.

Todd in NC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What alternator? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, I had the same problem on my CA. Everyone kept telling me to use a GM alternator. I kept telling them it was too big, that I didn't have room. I went to a local starter/alternator shop and he got me a neppandenso (spelling) alternator. There was another, but I can't remember the name. It was small, very small, they used them on racecars. I hope that I've helped you. Where in NC are you? I'm in Lincolnton. Todd.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What alternator? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Delco 10si can in fact be used on them you just have to have the right belt and have it mount right. Yep I have 2 that have them and they fit just fine and work just fine. you use a short tighten bar and you mount it up a tad higher and a short belt

Jim in NC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What alternator? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks old, I knew you'd be here for me. I am taking it to a tractor show this evenin'. I cleaned it a little yesterday and when moving it, I noticed the amp gauge not indicating a charge. I moved it this AM to where I could put the charger on it and while it was running I took a stick and tapped the voltage regulator and it started charging again. Sometimes all somethings is a little firm persuasion. The 6 v system works good when it works. I have had the generator worked on twice in the past 2 years. Jus kinda gettin fed up with it.

Jim in NC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: What alternator? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Todd, I am between Winston and Greensboro. I know your area fairly well. I lived and worked in Shelby after college. I still have some friends there, talk to some of them on a regular basis, and visit them but not enuff. Ifn you ain't doin' anything tomorrow, come to our Old Time Exhibition tomorrow near the State Farmers' Market on Sandy Ridge Road.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What alternator? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is one of the reasons I switch most to 12 volts plus also it is easier to just have every thing 12 volts so you can if need be switch battery's around and get back up and going fast

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters