Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cab stay or go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Kozlowski
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you guys think I should take the Full vision cab off this 770, or leave it alone?

I was set on taking it off, but now I'm debating on leaving it on. I had someone tell me that I should leave it because "it's retro and cool", Don L, that was you. Then I also read an article in one of the tractor magazines that was advising people to save after market cabs. Their logic was that the cabs will eventually become appreciated by collectors, despite the fact that many people are presently junking them. Any thoughts?

JW
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you ever had to make a living in one you would have already taken it off and junked it. It seems to violate you pure and original rule.

MDMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1175 and wished that i had a cab like this to at least put on in the winter without having to change to fenders and all

Lurch.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a no-brainer if you live where it gets below 20 degrees and you have to push snow or haul Shnit. For collector points that loader devalues the tractor worse than that cab. Those loaders are very destructive on axles etc. I won't even touch a tractor if its had a loader on it or if I did it would be for resale.Farm loaders are generally the most abused piece of machinery there is. Guys i have seen buy beat-up 4020's with ratty loaders take them off, patch and repaint and double there money. I guess it boils down to how you use the 770

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice 770! Must be a gas? Unless you have to plow snow those cabs belong in the iron pile. Your cab is proble the nicest ones I have seen, I have seen those cabs rattle and bang against the fenders and doghouse. Is this the cab that they drilled 3/4 inch holes in the fenders to mount something? (I can't think about it, those things drive me crazy)

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you keep the cab or not, check the platform mounts under the platform. The after market cabs mount to the platform, and all the vibration and extra weight break the platform mounts and then the cab weight comes down on the dog house and trashes the entire hood. Been there done that. DK

CBL95
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

take it off and never put it back on

CBL95
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

take it off and never put it back on

Jason Kozlowski
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I don't think it's too bad either. It is a '70 770 gas powershift. The tractor was originally used only for snow removal, it's originally from the Rochester, NY area. The second owner only had it for about three years, he put a bale fork on it to load round bales, he claimed it only got used for about a week each year. It's in Pennsylvania now, and is only used ocasionally to load or unload small Case items that we buy. I know loaders a usally a tractor's downfall, but with low hours, this is an exception, and since it is a proper Case 70 loader, I feel it compliments the tractor nicely. If it were another brand, it would be gone for sure.

Back to the cab, I suppose I do have an issue with people suggesting that I preserve the cab, because I'm a purist. I like things unrestored and factory original and have issues with modifications and additions. However, I'm also an historian, so I have a problem junking anything significant. I couln't junk the cab, even though I don't really care for the looks. Heck, I don't even want to junk a set of foundry weights I removed, and nobody wants them!

This cab is acually in pretty good shape, it doesn't even rattle. The cab is fairly light weight and it's just bolted together. Yes, it has the rear pivot bracket with one 3/4 bolt on each side. Those holes are the only holes in the sheetmetal, because the cab is actually designed to tilt completly backwards for service. The worst part, beside the ultra boxy style, is that, when combined with the loader you can't work on a darn thing easily. The only plus for the cab is that it has protected the dash and shift console. If it were an open station I'm sure the print on the dash and console wouldn't be near as nice. If it does come off, I may just disassemble it and store it since there's little value.

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too Funny! Or take it off and put it on a 1086 it would be an improvement for IH.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take it off and store it away. What goes around comes around. We sold many many 770s with 70 loaders and 2post ROPS/canopys and never put an aftermarket cab on a 70series tractor although we sold fullvision cabs for the 30 series tractors, and thinking about it, I don't remember selling a 770 with a case cab on it. D Case is right. Open station Cab mounts were lighter and the area where the platform bolted to the rubber isolation bushings often cracked. Yours may not have that problem though, as you indicated that it never did tillage work on rough ground, that bounced the tractor around a lot. We have a 1971 770 diesel 8 speed. It started life as an open station tractor. a 4 post Case ROPS was added in 1975 and remained on it until 2 years ago when we restored it. We had the oportunity to replace the badly battered 4 post and a lot of other parts with with a full cab off a 1070at nearly no cost, so we did. If we could have found a 2post Case ROPS we would have prefered that.They were really nice tractors with the 2post except for the tuning fork effect making them noisy to operate.

Brokengun
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats one of the best after market cabs i have ever seen.

Does it have air or heat?

Loader is damn nice

Its up to you but personally I would love to have a bigger version after maket cab like yours with air for my 930 diesel

Jason Kozlowski
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually, they built these for 930 tractors. I had this brochure long before I even had the tractor and cab. This cab only has a blower and a wiper. The brochure says you could get a heater, but not air.

How about that tip top II cab on the front? What a contraption!

JimEvans
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab stay or go? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep the cab. That tractor had a cab for most of its life. That is part of the history of the tractor. You won't find a nicer cab as an example of what farmers had to work with in the early 70s. I find it interesting that everyone wants to dump the cab because it is not original and is not historically correct. Then we talk about a 770 that originally was an open station, then had rops added, then had a cab added 2 years ago. I wouldn't call that tractor original at all (but would sure like to have it in my shed).

By the way, I have a 60 JD in my shed with a cab on it that was actually manufactured to fit that tractor. I bet that cab has been on that tractor for over 50 years now. It is part of the history of that tractor. Also, if I took it to a show, there could be twenty 60 JDs there, but I bet this one is the only one with a cab. The Deere guys just don't get it at all on why that cab should stay on that tractor.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters