Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

451 turbo with bad blow-by

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokengun
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: 451 turbo with bad blow-by Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at an 1175 case tractor. I noticed that there is a lot pressure coming from the breather tube.

The breather tube is the tube that sets on top of the valve covers.

There shouldn’t be pressure on this tube but it feels like a compressor pumping air.

Normally my first thoughts are that a head gasket is blown or there is blow-by from worn compression rings.

But the engine runs fine, does not smoke and there is NO water in the engine oil or extra pressure on the radiator.

Normally an engine with this much pressure would smoke badly or have water in the oil.

Instead it starts and runs fine.

Any ideas?

The engine is a 451 turbo charged engine.

MDMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 451 turbo with bad blow-by Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Possible bad valve spring or valve

olgentdc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 451 turbo with bad blow-by Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DO THE CHEAP STUFF FIRST. Speaking from HARDKNOX Mechanix Sckool... . pull the valve covers , LOOK CLOSELY AT EACH VALVE SPRING,anything that does not look perfectly right as the others is the culprit,, you can change out valve spring with air pressure thru the injector port, JUST MAKE SURE THE PISTON IS NEAR TOP OF STRoKE .. , and while there look for moisture gonky goop on the valve covers ,,. if water filth present.. you have a blown head gasket OR WORSE a cracked head .. should run a compression check at injector port to be able to tell which head set is the problem ..check the injectors for proper spray pattern while they are out ,,BAD INJECTORS HAVE sidelined and sometimes RUINED MANY GOOD ENGINES BY CEASING THE RINGS IN THE SLEEVE . Diesel mechanic up the road told me . Pencil injectors have a life of 20 years regardless if they are running or setting,,. don't know if thats really true in all tractors using pencil Injectors..but seems to be from my shop .

case trader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: 451 turbo with bad blow-by Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i will agree with j on the easy stuff first but that said i generaly find if tractor runs fine starts good uses very little oil the second ring will be broke thus scoring liner i"ve run them all summer thinking it might get better but in the end nock out the pistons have had as many as 4 pistons w broke rings i blame it on starting fluid (go to a tractor auction and watch the help try to start tractors)bad valves w/push compression in ex. or intake.

dwag
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 451 turbo with bad blow-by Reply to specific post Reply with quote

451 turbo is known for blow-by, and prone to cracked/broken crankshafts in our area. This tractor could be dealing with an issue of moisture in oil due to long time of non use and "boiling off" moisture in crankcase. That said, moderate blow-by is a non-issue. I'd screw it down on a dyno before purchase.

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 451 turbo with bad blow-by Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Broken crankshafts is not at all common.

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 451 turbo with bad blow-by Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are proble broken piston rings and worn valve(s) seats and guides, it's and old tractor. If it doesn't have a miss or rattle and has good oil pressure....... Run it. Case tractors seem to breath heavy anyways, compared to the lesser red and green colored tractors.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters