Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

4890 oil level

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moline_guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a 4890, the oil on the transmission sight glasses are full when shut off but when its running they both look half full. Is this normal?

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some may argue, but I make sure both are full when running.

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Saeli wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:48:19 12/21/10) Some may argue, but I make sure both are full when running.
I totally agree with John. mEl

turbo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With engine off, if we see the top sight glass low, we add 5 gallons. Trained our customer for years this way.

cshess
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a thought-thosee things are hard to see. We turned one out an there was a coating on inside of it an we cleaned glass an that helped, Since they are threaded in could you put a metal plug or a petcock in in place of at least one glass.

Moline_guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The glasses are clear and easy to see compared to dads 1370. I know they are both full when the engine is off, its when the engine is running they are both half full, you can see part of the split metal plate behind the oil when its running. Maybe I will add another 2 1/2 gallons to it even though they are both full when off, I have never heard of it hurting anything being over full a bit. I am guessing it is suppose to be checked when off, we don't have a book for it. Thanks for the replies.

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you are looking at is the 4 speed tranny and resovoir. When the tractor is running, it pulls from the resovoir & fills & lubricates everything relying on the hydraulics. The bottom line is that the resovoir needs to be full especially when running, to fully lubricate the tranny.

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Simply put another way,; is the oil needed the most when the tractor is sitting still? or when the gears are turning creating friction & heat?

Moline_guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I will definately add some more oil to it, I don't know a lot about the ins and outs of the transmissions, just wanted to make sure over filling wasn't going to cause problems. I guess I fugured the oil level was to be checked when off, but that must not be the case. Dad bought it around 5 years ago or so, and its only job is to grind hay. Tires are poor on it and we have used it as a pull out tractor, but we have some older Versatiles for tillage work. But grinding hay, to me, is just as much abuse on components as tillage work, so keeping enough oil to everything is important. Thanks again for the information.

dwag
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 4890 oil level Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil level should be checked when tractor is shut off, anyone whom suggests otherwise is mistaken.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters