Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Baler brochure brings up question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CNT, John, Loren: Seeing the baler brochures remnided me of my youth and a question. When I was a kid (late 50s early 60s)I never saw a PTO driven baler, all had Wisconsin engines that would drive the baler, all brands. Case was the prominent brand in our area due to the popularity of the local dealer in La Grange, TX, Reinhardt Wolfe. Farmers would pull the baler with smaller tractors as they didn't have to use engine power to drive the baler AND the VAC and late SC with foot feed were popular as you could pull in 2nd or 3rd and regulate tractor forward speed with the throttle to slow down in heavy parts of the winrows and speed up when they were lighter.

The question, when did the engine driven balers loose popularity and why? Looks like logic would prevail as your bailer tractor could be used for cutting and raking as well and most small time farmers who couldn't afford more than one tractor wouldn't have to buy large high hp tractors. Our land was relitively flat too but even at that a VAC in 1st could pull a pretty heavy bailer up a pretty steep hill.

Just food for thought and to get information feedback started that would be interesting to all of us.

Jim

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hey Jim, we never sold a baler with a motor on it new, but the ones around here with motors were because of the tractors they used did not have live power as to your dealer I had a neighbor give me this mirro that his dad got from his home town small world cnt

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Extremely small world, what is your friend's name? My guess he is of German or eastern European decent as 80-90% of the folks in that area were and for the most part still are. Possible I could know his family.

Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe were good friends of my family and I remember her telling of a Case do in Florida in the early to mid 60s they went to and it was the first time she had been out of our local area ever! Possible your Dad and Mom went to the same conventions as well as John Saeli and ACG's folks.

I remember seeing that mirror. We may, probably did, even have had one. I know there was one in the dealership.

Jim

Don Rudolph
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim,

Our dealer was Einhart Braun, a good German name, if there ever was one. He was a B17 mechanic in England during WWII and said you couldn't believe how bad they would be shot up when they came back.

Case was the leader in balers here too until New Holland came out with the 66 small farmer baler. Those were mostly PTO drive. Wisconsin engines had a terrible reputation for not wanting to restart when hot. Farmers soon learned to fill up the gas tank in the morning and just let them run all day. A good friend of mine had a 133 for hobby farming and just couldn't believe the improvement when he switched to a New Holland (admittedly newer, but no WI engine). Don

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim,
I think the Live PTO in tractors eliminated the need for continuous power from a Wisconsin. The first balers that we sold with PTOs were 130s. Times are changing around here again though. Amish horses don't have PTOs, so they use Honda twins on newer balers or a forcart with with an engine and PTO gear box with clutch, to power haybines and balers.

JHH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a pic of our mirror. Our's don't have the thermometer.

JHH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now your bringing back memories. My first job driving tractor was with the '39 DC pulling a McCormick-Deering 50T baler and wagon while Dad loaded bales when I was 9 years old. If I had any problem all I needed to do was push the hand clutch. Baler had a Farmall A engine. Couldn't find a pic of the DC and baler, but here is a pic of the DC and one of the baler behind the 400 several years later. Next baler was a IH 46 PTO.

This pic was taken 1947 or 48. I was the little guy on Dad's lap.

Here is the 400 and 50T baler.

C. Amick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We still have the old NH Super 66 with the Wisconsin engine. I think it was built in the 1950's. Many farmers around where I grew up in WV didn't have a large enough tractor to run a PTO driven baler. The first baler we had with a PTO was a MF 12, which I think came out in the late 1960's. It's just less maintenance using a PTO driven baler. The engine-driven baler did have a couple advantages. You could use a smaller tractor to run it. We ran the NH 66 with the VAC. The other advantage is that you can turn sharper corners when baling with the engine driven baler. That came in handy if you were baling in a small field.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Baler brochure brings up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the man that had the mirro was Arther Burkhardt, he is gone now but his son Jack give me the mirro a few years ago he still owns some ground in Texas the was his aunts cnt tom

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters