Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Splitting Case 320 backhoe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannnyzukov
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Splitting Case 320 backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well i got my case 320 backhoe transported to its
temporary home where we are going to work on it.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=case&th=173777

And i since i got it running more this time
we noticed an oil leak from the bell housing.
This could be the problem with the clutch baerly engaging.
Appears to be hydralic fluid from the torque
tube, and not the engine oil. Looking at
the parts diagram there appears to be a hydralic pump sitting on the shaft. So its eather that
or the input shaft seal on torque tube.

So we plan on splitting the thing in a day or so
to see whats leaking. Plan is it support the
torque tube and some of the loader frame.
Raise the loader bucket high enough to let the
engine and front axle out , and maybe extend
the hoe to get some counterweight. Chaining
both the loader and hoe so not to let them
move while the thing is apart.

Any information about such a procedure on
this machine would be helpfull, as we do not
have the shop manual, only parts manual printouts.

Ps: i will try to take pictures as we move along.

thanx

danny

Joe Young
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting Case 320 backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Danny

There have been a couple of threads here recently about the clutch and torque tube on the late 1950's "Rock Island" Case tractors. Joe (Wa) posted some pictures of the tach drive assembly you will see when you split your 320. There are two seals, one gasket and one O-ring that are a part of that assembly that could be the source of your oil leak into the bellhousing. The current Case part numbers are:

Part # G10421 - SEAL, OIL
Part # G10407 - GASKET
Part # A155950 - OIL SEAL

The o-ring on the top of the tach drive sleeve is a standard o-ring (i can't remember the size).

Be sure to protect the seals from the sharp splines on the end to the two shafts when re-installing the tach drive assembly.

You might also consider replacing the rear main engine seal while you have the tractor split. - Joe

gusbratz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting Case 320 backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i like that cab, would be nice to have. Smile

Joe (Wa)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting Case 320 backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some more info on your probable hyd oil leak.

Front seal (housing) G10422 > A155950

Aft seal (driveline shaft) before tractor serial nr 6097696 p/n G10421. Tractor serial nr 6097696 and after G13816

Joe

Dannnyzukov
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting Case 320 backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanx for the replies.

I have realised that 320s came out of 300 tractors.
but also 400 and 530s seem to share some parts
from the late 50s eary 60s.

However i am not sure on what they have incomon with 320s, can someone give me some ideas on
which information i could rely from these other
models for fixing mine.

What is the hyd pumps purpose on these?
It reminds me of an oiling pump on chainsaws.
is it for internal functions of the torque tube?

danny

Joe Young
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting Case 320 backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Danny

The Case tractors manufactured at the Rock Island, Illinois works between 1956 and 1961 share some parts. However, Case made a number of changes throughout the production run, and there were subtle difference between the various models. The 430-530-630-470-570 series tractors were initially produced in Rock Island 1960-1961, then production shifted to Racine, WI from 1962-1972. The later "Racine" tractors might also share some parts with your 320, but lots of changes took place by that time,

The best way to confirm any parts compatibility is a good set of parts manuals or use the on-line Case parts manuals. Case just revamped their parts site, which is here. Click on "Parts Catalog" in the left column.

Some possible donor candidates:

1956-1957 - "300" Series tractors (including the 310 and 320 construction variants)
1958-1959 - "x00B" Series tractors (200B, 300B, 400B, 500B, 600B, including the 210B, 310B, 320B and 420B construction variants)
1960-1969 - "30" Series tractors (430, 530, 630, Including the 430 and 530 CK variants)
1970-1972 - "70" series tractors ( 470 & 570)

The hydraulic system's purpose on the the dry clutch models like your 320 is to supply oil pressure to the hydraulic valves on top of the torque tube. A second pump is installed on the Case-O-Matic tractors (400B, 420, 600B) to supply oil to the torque converter. In the latter case, both pumps draw from the same supply of hydraulic oil within the torque tube. - Joe

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters