Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

My super cheapskate rebuild smokes a bit--not bad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlarge54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: My super cheapskate rebuild smokes a bit--not bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After running my C for well over a decade, this winter I decided to pull some much needed repairs. The clutch was kinda like a torque converter, front seal leaked so bad it was ruining the front tires, rear seal was worse, one plug was so oil fouled it took a minute or two to fire on all four. Flywheel had a dead spot in ring gear too.
Luckily I'd found a cheap parts tractor so I had a supply of parts handy. The block had wear in the lower portion of the cylinders, nothing radical so I scuffed them up with a cyl hone. Pistons and rings looked pretty good. One head looked pretty good and had rubber umbrella seals. New cam bearings. The crank was stoned and sanded in the block and the old bearings were shimmed till they fit.
I've been mowing with it all summer and it runs great but when it's left idling it smokes a bit and then smokes when the throttle is applied. Likely a valve guide issue or lower cyl wear or both. I checked compression (cold) today and had a solid 120 psi in all cylinders. All in all I'm pretty pleased with the results, can't get used to the lack of oil puddles. Only time will tell if the smoke gets better or worse.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: My super cheapskate rebuild smokes a bit--not bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds like you did all right. Honing or scuffing the cylinders is what helped the rings to seal. In general, not a good idea to reuse rings. I always do rings and gaskets at a minimum.... but looks like you did o.k. !!

Gordon in IN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My super cheapskate rebuild smokes a bit--not bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might try using 10W-40 or 10W-50 Synthetic Oil (Full Synthetic not blend) in your engine. It may still use or "burn" some , but it should smoke a lot less. It also may make the engine last longer. Just one approach.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters