Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loveshisalis
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey dere;

I read that an 1" and a quarter inch tapered pipe tap is what to use to do the job in a Allis B stock manifold. Where can I pick on of these up, and then where do I get the nipple that goes inside of this?
precciate the help

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can buy or order a 1-1/4" pipe tap for $$$$ at ANY hardware store.

You can probably find a reasonably good one on fleabay for a LOT less, or perhaps borrow one.

The pipe is simply 1-1/4" black pipe, even the "big box stores" probably have it in their plumbing dept.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can get both at McMaster-Carr, or MSC, or Enco. Google any or all of 'em

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An AC B stock manifold was never threaded. And I would guess trying to thread an old one would bust it.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old ones are easier to tap than new ones because the hole is a little larger. Takes less work to get the 1 1/4" tap down 3/4 the way on the tap.

I tap every one of my manifolds. All of my tractors set out side year around. seals the water out.

New one tapped in this picture.

I have a picture in my fotki site some where of one of the old manifolds that I had tapped. Couldn't find it just now.

loveshisalis
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hey DickL;

Thanks for the good tips. I might try that lifting trick using the stud girdle like you did. Sure daves having to pull the head bolts when lifting the mill ! .

appreciate all the good help

loveshisalis
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey DickL;

Also, do I have to pull the clutch off to replace the ring gear off the flywheel? I got that job coming up too.
In the menatime, got to line upa 1-1/4" tap, .
tanks

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So many manifolds I have seen are so rotten you can hardly look at them, let alone tap them- I am impressed!
I wonder how many manifolds the average guys without your skill have busted?!
I suppose a manifold AND tap that are in good condition makes the difference.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A sharp tap does not put a great deal of out ward pressure when only turning the larger tap in an 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn before backing the tap up to clear the chips.

thebigyellowtruck
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have you ever tapped a WD all fuel manifold?(with the bolt on plate) if so what size is it? thanks

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No sir, I have not. I have never owned a WD but you can find out what size of tap needed with a ruler or set the correct sized pipe nipple over the hole.

thebigyellowtruck
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Dick. I think that will be a project for next spring.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: B manifold Threading. Dick L , maybe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

look up "plumber" in the local small town phone book. Pay him $10, and let him tap it in 10 minutes while you wait.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters