Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John826diesel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an IH 826 that i am selling.. I have been starting to like the looks and style of the case rowcrop comfort kings...they are just something different and unique,and i think they look like really tough machines.All my friends think i'm crazy for wanting to get a case tractor,and they say there way behind in there time compared to deere and IH.. I know a guy that farms 2000 acres with mostly 30 series case tractors and loves them!! I need some feedback...PROS AND CONS?? what are there weaknesses? tough engines?? easy to start? (diesel) what are they going for in decent condition?? i live in michigan...any info greatly appreciated

DCTOM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

john, in my humble openion the 930 was the best tractor case built, it would pull 5 plows with ease and do just about anything you ask of it, would run cheap, little hard to start in cold weather unless plugged in for hour or so, i farmed with one here in northern ind, had it turned up to about 96 horse and loved it dctom

steve f

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Case 930 longnose diesel and Case 900 diesel.I have IH tractors of the same vintage.The Case tractors are heavier built,engines run at lower Rpms and have way more torque.The rearends are indistructable along with the transmissions.Outstanding on fuel useage.Great tractors.

NEcasepuller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree with Tom. Case 930 was one of the best they ever built! Would look at a late model 68-69. 1030 were known for head problems. Maybe it was the operators. Could of not let them cool off long enough after trying to pull the guts out of them.

BigMarv1085
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighbor has a 930 and a 1032. Has less than $1500 in both. The hyd.s are weak on the 930 and has bad brakes. The 1032 drives like it has a broken tooth on the bull gear. If he were to take and do some work on them they would be good tractors. He just parks them when he is done and when neede he will go jump or pull them off.

JW
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve had both 930s and 826s and really liked both. The 930 is a much better field tractor than the 826 but the 826 is a much better chore tractor. Everyone complains about the brakes and power steering on the 930. If you keep the brakes up in good shape and keep the powersteering belt tight they are fine. Switching from 2 6 volts to 2 12 volt batteries helps alot with the starting issue. The 930 will lug a bit better. Fuel usage will be very similar between the 930 and the German dsl. If your looking for big power the German dsl takes to a turbo much better than the 30 series. Last I knew engine parts are still cheaper for the Case than they are for the 358. My first choice is the 930 but the 826 is a very close second.

Dave F

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go for the diesel. I had a 930 gas- wasn't particularily powerful and was the thirstiest tractor I ever owned. Brakes okay if maintained and transmission seemed very good. I did like the looks.

ralph wilton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

case also had 2 remotes standard i have a 930 ck on lp which i grind feed with i pull it some a john deer 4020 wont hold a candle to it but the 806 ihs get me by 3 ft every year i have 34 inch rubber they have 38"s anyway mine has a home to retire at now my 7 year old son says it is his and will keep it too. we both love that old gal and are going to restore it soon.

John826diesel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What transmissions did they have? is the case-o-matic a good choice,or junk? is the straight gearbox on a CK a better choice? whats the diff. between the longhoods and short hoods other than where the fuel tank is mounted??

BANDITFARMER
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John I have a 63 930CK Wheatland, Has a 6speed chain driven and hand clutch that I guarantee a 4020 cant keep up with. This is my first Case tractor and I can say I am impressed with it. I use mine as a main tillage tractor. Has a 50 gallon tank behind the seat and the batteries are under the tank and easy to get to. The newer 930s and 1030s have 8 speed transmissions, I think the radiator is the same size in the 930 and 1030 and the 1030 tend to heat up some for this reason. For what a 4020 and 986 costs you could buy 3 or 4 930CKs. Good solid tractors. Bandit

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John the 930/1030 were all straight tranny no COM was produced, the six speeds had a chain drive to the axles and did put a few more ponies to the ground both the 6 and 8 speeds were very good units, as to the COM's in the 830 and below they are also very good units but the thing is either you loved them or you didn't we sold about 50/50 back in the day I myself have 3 830 COM alone with another 8 in various sizes and much perfer them to the stds but thats me, back in the 60's we demo against many other brands and always felt we had a very compareable unit and we did have the indusrys best warrenty at the time 12 months and no hour limit hope this helps

j hikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my healthy 4020 jd could not hold a candle to the POWER of worn my out 930 diesel (She was so worn out nephew teased that at idle the pistons could swap holes) LOL .. the 930 is like driving around a 2 story house doing menial jobs in the barnlot, but wonderful on the hi -plains , the deere p-hift( once you 1st , get the sundavtch started ) is far more nimble, versatile and friendly , (like a larger size 430 case) , but the deere will beat the case to belly up to the fuel tank ,,.

bob nichols
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought two tractors last year one being a 730 and the other one a 1030 and they need some attention but i will have to tell u the 1030 is extremely strong it will run circle s around r 2090 its amazing the raw horsepower and lugging power the only thing make sure you get one with the transmission cooler but otherwise very dependable tractor

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim now that you bring up fuel usage I remember in 1970 we had traded for a pair of 4020's one std shift one ps the later we used to custom plow for a week or two along with our 67 1030, the 4020 pulled a semi-mount jd 5-16 plow and the 1030 a semi-mount 6-16 Case plow, in sod the 1030 pulled all day in 3rd and fueled once in a 10-11 hr day, the 4020 fueled twice a day and you were shifting from 1st to second all day long, not sure how much fuel the jd held but the 1030 was 48, was told that the jd plow of that time pulled harder than the Case and that the 4020 ps took more power than the std syncro, but I do know the jd plow was sold with a 69 930 and it pulled it fine in 3rd in sod so who knows cnt

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: CASE 930 or 1030...are they good tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had my 1030 for about 15 years now. Only thing I don't like on it is the brakes and power steering but someone severely neglected the brakes on mine in the past and the power steering pulley is worn square. I got a 6-18 plow with it when I bought it, would pull it in 3rd, the 4020 and 826 I doubt would move it in 1st gear. I do like all the manual features of the 30 series, less to break and easier to repair. The brakes are mechanical and external to the tractor whereas most IH and JD they are hydraulic and some are inside the rear axle housings. The steering systems has a mechanical connection between the wheel and steering gear box, and if your power steering craps out you can still drive it home. The PTO is also mechanical. I had a 4020 once that blew the hydraulic pump. No PTO, no brakes, no power shift no steering. I was hauling corn to town with the 1030 and the power steering belt flew out into the ditch, just had to arm strong it around tight corners because I had 1200# on the front end. The 930 and 1030 had triple disk dry brakes, I put all new disks, springs, balls, seals, ect in mine 15 years and 4500 hours ago and had to pull them apart last spring to clean them out, disks are still in good shape.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters