Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tie down

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat sublett
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you use nylon straps or chains to tie down equipment. Which is best.

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chains are best. Anything will work till you have to make a sudden stop, then you will find out you should have used chains. Seen guys load a $20,000 tractor and put one strap on it. Couldn't believe the stupidity of it.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pat sublett wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:59:08 10/18/11) Do you use nylon straps or chains to tie down equipment. Which is best.

Tractors always get chained. Other farm equipment might either get chained, or strapped, depending on the configuration of it. Basically, if it can roll, chaining is best.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CHAINS only. I think if I remember right D.O.T. regs. say chains also but been to many years out of the truck to be 100% sure. I do use straps on things like lumber but on any thing made of metal I use metal to hold it in place

Scotty HOMEy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I prefer chains.

The rules are indifferent between straps and chains. The basic requirement is that whichever you use, they have to be rated for the load they're securing, and in good repair. The regs do require that straps be protected from chafing edges.

John730D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know I'll catch h-ll for this, but I have used straps for over 20 years. Years ago I did it on a daily basis when I had my excavating co. Was inspected by DOT many times and never got so much as a warning. The problem is not what you use, it's how many and the rated strenght of each tie down. A properly loaded tractor/loader/backhoe needs at least six tie downs---one on each corner of the tractor,one one the loader, one on the backhoe.

Scotty HOMEy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amen. Chains are only my preference, but then I'm known to be a little hidebound, stubborn (if not outright mulish), and stuck on some old ways that were handed down to me. Still, I'll use properly-rated straps in good condition if that's what my load calls for.

The "good condition" part is important. Straps can be weakened by knicking and chafing, UV damage . . . But it's not unheard of for a load to be red-tagged for stretched chains, either.

You've hit it on the head, John. Either will do the job while satisfying the regs.

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's all in the love of your equipment, family, friends,,,by that i would say depending on size/weight, of what you are hauling, what would make you feel comfortable....knowing that it wouldn't fall off the trailer and injured family/friends, etc....i use more than enough straps to hold the forward/backward movement snug when taking off/stopping....it'd your call...my $.02

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use both. On a heavy piece just chains. on a light tractor a chain through clevis on the draw bar, and a strap around the pedestal in front.

ShepFL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chains - got a good quantity of them and upgraded to ratchet binders a few yrs back.

smallercrawler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use either depending on load. If hauling tractors/crawlers/equipment, I use chains. If lumber/palletized material/logs, I use straps with protection sleeves on wear/chafe points. I also like to load against the truck/trailer bulkhead if feasible. There is good info at the FMCSA site and I have heard of a reference booklet (name escapes me, sold usually at truckstops) that shows "acceptable" methods of cargo securement. Good luck/be safe!

Scotty HOMEy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd love to know the story behind that pic!

Back to the point. Fore-and-aft, and side to side restraint is what you're aiming for.

I'd heard it said before somewhere else, and read it again in a similar thread here not long ago, but the idea is that if your trailer shuld break loose on you and roll, your load should be right where you left it on the deck.

If nothing else, at that point, something on your load might provide a handy snatch point for the crew trying to get the trailer back upright. ;8^)

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

best? that's like asking what color is best.

both have uses.

as weights hauled go up, chains become safer. i like a 'strap' to be rated abt least 2 x of the total load being strapped. IE.. if I am hauling a 10K tractor.. i want 20K straps.. even if I am using 4-5-6-7-8-9 straps. i want each one to be 2x the rating of the entire load. Obviously as you get heaviner loads.. it gets non economical to have strapping rated for that.. even though you can get 3" and 4" straps.. .. once you get over 2"/20k straps.. it becomes cheaper to go chain and binder.

for most applications.. i like straps.. they mar the paint en metal less. if i'm going out of state.. i might have a chain for and aft, then fill in the ballance with straps on all corners, straps on each implement including attached implements like loaders and hoes and mowers, plus a cross strap across the trans.

I err on the side of more is better.. a minimum of 1+1 strap per 10' of load, +1 per implement, AND all 4 corners tied independently.

soundguy

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There sure is a lot of real heavy stuff of all kinds running on flat beds and low boys with straps getting off and on the Ohio Turn Pike here at Mid Toll. (Indiana/Ohio line) I see a lot of flat beds with the strap tighteners welded on the side of the bed quite close together from front to back.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie down Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do about the same as showcrop. On the wide front ends, I use straps with chains on the back of the tractors.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters